BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Water Shoes
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Water Shoes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gord Campbell (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 3:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

My wife and I, and another couple will be leaving for our first trip to Bonaire in a few days from now. We plan on doing a lot of snorkeling (no diving). My wife and I are fine, as we have snorkeled quite a bit and have all our own equipment. Our friends purchased some snorkel equipment from Costco, and while I haven't looked at it, it sounds O.K. The problem is with their fins. Their fins do have a strap on the back (they are not the "booty" style fins) but they cannot find water shoes that will fit into them. The opening for the foot must be quite small. As it is still winter here there is not much selection, and I was wondering if there was anywhere in Bonaire (dive shop, etc.) where they could go to purchase water shoes? I think they would need to be thin soled to fit into the fin. They also would prefer not to spend a great deal of money, as they are not sure how much snorkeling they will do after this trip.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Johanna Bowen (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 3:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My first trip to Bonaire I rented fins that would not accommodate a foot bootie. Most shore access walks require foot covering prior to entering the water. So, I wore my Tevas up to the water. Took them off and tucked them INTO my skin (wore them against my back). It never bothered me to have them in there, and I could put them on again after exiting the water. Now I own a set of fins and walking booties that enable me to get from the truck, road etc. up to the water where I put on the fins over the booties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #394) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 3:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's my 2psi. The beaches and entries on Bonaire are very "rubbly" and the recommendation from my LDS to have thick hard soled dive boots was a very good one. I honestly think water socks might be pretty uncomfortable walking around on that stuff.

In their situation, if thick soles won't fit and they won't get fins that will accommodate, here's a suggestion. Go to an LDS and buy low cut hard soled dive boots. Get a small bag that will carry the shoes, can get wet, and can be worn on the your back. Use the boots to get you in the water and then find a place to either float or sit. Take the boots off and replace with fins. Boots go in the bag on your back until done with the swim.

That seems to me to be the easiest and most comfortable solution.

Would also recommend having a pair of black ankle high athletic socks to wear inside the fins to prevent chafing. I wear them even inside my dive boots because sometimes I get rubbed on my instep.

Hope this helps.

e.

(Message edited by herk_man on March 17, 2010)

(Message edited by herk_man on March 17, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gord Campbell (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 5:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for your suggestions. I think we have solved the problem. I already had a bag attachment system which goes around my waist that I will use for snorkeling to keep things in so I don't have to leave them in the vehicle. I hadn't thought of it until after I put up the post, but we had bought a second bag for my wife, which she probably won't need to use. We'll loan it to our friends who can then use the water shoes they already have (the ones that will not fit into their fins) to walk into the water, and then simply remove their shoes and put them in the bag. Problem solved. Thanks again for your help and quick responses. Bonaire Talk is fantastic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #403) on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 8:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I hope my solution works for them. The only real issue I see is just making sure that they find a good spot where they either do the transfer while floating and not touching bottom, or where the bottom is sandy or free of sharp stuff. There are some urchins in the shallows in spots where the rock has large pits so need to watch out for that.

A little caution and common sense and I think they'll be fine.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sue dilorenzo (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Thursday, March 18, 2010 - 12:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

My husband cannot put his fins on with his shoes. Our cheap solution he brings a bungee cord strings the shoes through when hes in the water and bungee goes around his waist. We have been doing this for two years now it works great!! just my 2cents

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration