BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: New to Wet suites, Help Please?
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: New to Wet suites, Help Please?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jacki (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 2:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are coming to Bonaira in Mid May '10, and we intend to return to the island for a land vacation next Jan. or Feb.

I am concerned about getting stung by sea lice/jelly fish. I am allergic to almost everything that I am stung by on land,so I am afraid that being stung by something in the water will make the remainder of our trip miserable. What thickness should a wetsuit be to protect against stings?

I am plus size. I found a company that sells plus sizes. They recommend I buy a suit that has sleeves to the elbow, and a capri legnth for the legs. It is .5mm thick, front zip.... one piece.

Here's their description. Short sleeve, capri length. A mere 0.5mm thick with great heat-retaining capabilities. Anti- bacterial with 100% UV protection. Perfect for water conditions 80 degrees and above.

I have arthritis (I push myself to stay active) so I would like the wetsuit to be easy on & off, particulary for restroom breaks and while the suite is wet. I was also concerned about what to wear underneath the suit. Any hints would be appreciated.

They have another wetsuite availalbe in my size, This one is full body, one mm thick.

Full length long sleeved wetsuit. Constructed of 1.0 mm quick drying high stretch neoprene. Recommended for water temperatures 78 degrees and above.

Which do you think I should buy? I really appreciate those of you who have experience helping me decide, as I am a newbie in this department!

Also, I was looking for a tennis/water shoe combo. Wear as tennis shoe on land, but also be able to wear in the water. Any suggestions? This is so we don't have to carry another pair of shoes with us. We're trying to travel lighter & more compact!

Thanks for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie.....I want warm weather again... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13920) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 6:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jacki, welcome to Bonaire talk.
I would go with the full suit you should be fine in a 1mm perhaps with a skin on under it or a beanie of some sort on your head.. this past January the water temps were between 79 and 82 degrees.. I sometimes wore just a t shirt for the first dive of the day and then ended up in my full 2 mil for the last dive of the day
Lands end has some nice water sneaks.. I wore a pair this year as well... here is the link
water shoes the shore in Bonaire is what they call an iron shore so you will need hard soled booties or if your fins fit over these shoes it would be great.. just remember that the ankles are another place to get stung... I only had one instance of being stung by little swimmy things.. I beleive it was 8-10 days after the full moon.. not sure if it was sea wasps or just some stingy nematodes near the surface while I was snorkling.. have fun, use common sense and be careful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie.....I want warm weather again... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13921) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 6:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

BTW it is better to be a little warmer under the water so I would surely go with the heavier suit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Smits (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #828) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 6:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jacki

regarding the tennis/watershoe
I've always used old tennisshoes in the water.
The salt water wears them down. So don't expect that you will be able to use them for tennis.

Walmart is selling watershoes at low prices. It's not watershoe season yet, but maybe you will find them in your store shortly before you leave.

Be sure to bring open heel fins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Skipper Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2323) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 10:14 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jacki, welcome to BT:)

Warmth and protection are a personal preference depending on how many dives you do a day, and how cold you get. I have dove Bon at various months, and always wear a skin and a full 3mm with a beanie. I prefer January because it's cooler topside. By the end of the week I usually wear 2 beanies or my dry suit hood if I've remembered to pack it. I do 3 dives a day.

You mention you have arthritis, do your joints stiffen up when you are chilled? If so, I'd go with a 3mm. Henderson's hyperstretch is pretty easy on easy off. If you are prone to anaphylaxis, I'd def go with the full protection. Do you need an epi-pen when you are stung? If so, carry one with you and I'd get a medical note from your doctor to wear gloves. Where's Tribs on this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nancy Klune (BonaireTalker - Post #45) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 10:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Can't help with the suit but Academy Sporting Good store has some nice quality water shoes. I think they were $22. Much better than the ones I bought at Wal Mart a couple of years ago.

Thanks for info on the plus size suits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jacki (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all for your replies. So Sorry, I should have mentioned that we'll be snorkeling not diving. I don't need an Epie pin when stung. But if I got stung numerous times, I might. You're right, I should probably bring one. The area where I'm stung swells up to about 10 times the size of what a "normal" person would experience. I thought there might be some restroom facilities at some of the beaches, not businesses. If restroom facitities aren't avaialbe I find a secluded patch of bushes and relieve myself. I didn't know how difficult that would be wearing a wet suit. I'll check into the skin, and see if I can find a plus size. That might be a better choice this trip. I'm happy to hear it will protect me from stings. I can buy the wetsuit for the Jan. trip. I can also look on Bonaire while we're there. I don't know the size selection the shops have. We're only there 1 day this time. I would rather be in the water than trying on wetsuits! However, we do want to set asaide some time for shopping. You gave some great ideas about water/tennis shoes too. Thanks again. You all are great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric M. "CamMan" (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #374) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 12:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jacki,

Any thickness of wetsuit will protect you from Jellies. A skin might not but will be better than nothing. I wear a pair of underarmor tights under my shorty and dive at all times of the day as well as night dives (although have only dove Bonaire in December) and never have I felt anything touch me.

And as far as relieving yourself, we all pee in our wetsuits. Join the club. Getting a wetsuit off in the bushes of Bonaire would be a YouTube moment for sure. :)

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gord Alder (Owner Seaside unit 101) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #165) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 12:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jacki, Just wanted to let you know that a friend was on Bonaire in January and was stung by a box Jelly near the shore. She is very allergic to bee stings, and caries the Epie pen. Her sting was on the ankle is 2 inches of water and she was fine. It stung for a while, but she was back to normal in a few hours and she didn't need to use her pen.

Just one persons experience, yours may differ.

(Message edited by gordo on March 17, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie.....I want warm weather again... (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13924) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 12:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jacki you might think wetting in your wet suit terrible but when you see the BRIARS in the bushes you will think again... watch out walking off the paths as the spines can go right through even thick soled shoes..and you don't want to scare any iguanas or lizards LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Skipper Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2328) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 1:34 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jacki, just read about the snorkeling. A skin or the 1mm should be fine and have enough stretch to get in and out of easily. I'd also go with Freddie on the briar patch...plus, there is a tree on bon that looks pretty but will give you the most horrible rash. I'm sure someone will remember the name and maybe post a picture:)

Here are a couple of online places with plus sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Black-Blue-Lycra-Dive/dp/B001QHI7MY

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-44/Dive-Skins.html

Choices are limited on Bonaire in regard to sizes. I'd buy before you go.

have a fun trip and let us know how you like it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Beck-ee - gets a furnace, not a vacation (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2559) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 2:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jacki - I would definitely go for the full arm/full leg suit. 1mm or even a 0.5mm full suit will keep away the stingy thingy's :) I wear a full length 0.5mm when diving on Bonaire, and add a beanie when I get colder. You should be fine snorkeling.

I found that the 0.5mm is very easy to put on and get off since it is such thin neoprene - thicker suits aren't so easy (like 7mm suits, in 90F California heat - right Tink? Where's the Downy - LMDAO... oops sorry for that hijack:))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Parmley (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #108) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jacki my mom and I snorkel and we bought swim pants and jackets from Coolibar.com. They have sun protection in them and are easy to get on and off. They also protect you from the stingy things. I got stung two years ago in the Mangroves by jellyfish larvae. (I wasn't wearing my swim pants) It didn't bother me until I got on the airplane and then became very red and itchy. I ended up in the emergency room the day after I got home. The doctor said the saltwater probably kept it from bothering me too much but then once I was out of it for a day it flared up. Now I wear the pants and jacket everytime I go in the water. They work really well and come in plus sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Skipper Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2330) on Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 4:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Becky, you took the words right out of my mouth....LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy & Dave Bartlett (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1139) on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 2:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My 2 cents worth. I have arthritis also especially in my shoulder area and I have found that back zip skins/wet suits are easier for me to get on and off.
Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob fraser (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #170) on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 9:25 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well Andy&Dave just to show the contradictory nature of experience, I have a rotator cuff issue and find the front zip much easier to get on and off. I have both and do use both but back zip I need some assistance with. The front zip also isn't as thick.
just another 2 cents :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Runrx (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 11:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

does anyone know the difference between a henderson dive skin and a neosport (by henderson) dive skin? I want to buy one before we come next week-- for snorkeling. They are about $20 difference in price so there must be some difference in the fabric. Any ideas??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *****Patrick with sharks on Bonaire***** (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #4778) on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 11:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

top of the line

bottom of the line

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gerty (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 6:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Late to the post, but here's a website for a company selling whitewater gear. They have skin suits in separate tops and bottoms:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=942

Their selection of watershoes is also good. I personally use their felt soled shoes. They grip well on slippery rock.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1169

Finally, I would recommend looking at Zeagle's travel fins. While sized for diving, these fins are flexible and comfortable for snorkeling as well. They are light, pack flat and can be put on over barefeet, shoes or sandals.

http://www.zeagleexpress.com/gear/FINS/Zeagle%20Fins/EZ%20Travel%20Finz.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1097) on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 7:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do not expect to find bathroom facilities on Bonaire beaches.
That said, anyone who tells you they never pee in their wetsuit likely is a liar.
A fresh water rinse after diving will do wonders.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration