BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Stingy Thingys?
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Stingy Thingys?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cat and Jude (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 - 5:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi all! I've been reading this site for a while now, and have finally made it down to Bonaire! It's amazing here. Quick question-almost every time we have snorkeled here so far we've gotten little stings..what are they? It's not horribly painful, more annoying than anything, but it definitely makes me a little paranoid. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill a.k.a.Mr. Bill...(**********) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14474) on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 - 7:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow. Well, welcome to BT! My partner and I dive and haven't experienced this. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Out of the water there are the obvious Caribbean mosquitos and gnats but from the "sound" of your post it would seem this is happening in the water. Can you elaborate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grunt (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1021) on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 - 8:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

One way of relief is to wear a dive skin while snorkeling. This is a lycra type one piece suit that doesn't give any thermal protection but does give protection from just those things that bothering you, hands and face excepted.
Here is an example:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_3059/Context_980/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/BLRLM.html?Hit=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Skipper Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2271) on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 - 8:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cat and Jude, welcome to BT. You don't mention the size or shape of these. Often we've seen vertical strings of jelly's - siphonophores (I think). My husband used to wear a t-shirt and shorts until one January he got his arms and legs pretty snagged by them. As Grunt suggested, a skin is a good idea. It's what my husband wears now (well, would wear if he ever goes back to Bonaire lol). If they are the string things we just sort of pushed them away. Be careful as they can get you around the face as well.

OH, and I just KNOW if I didn't get the name right, someone will SHIRLEY correct me:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Skipper Tink* (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2272) on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 - 8:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OH, and Jellies hatch 10 days after a full moon so you are more prone to exposure during that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cat and Jude (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 7:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone! We can't see anything-only feel the sensation of a light sting. I had the highly unfortunate experience of being pushed over by a wave and landing on a fire coral covered rock and that was incredibly painful-it's nothing like that!

Will check out the skin idea-headed out to the Woodwind this morning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sue dilorenzo (BonaireTalker - Post #23) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The skin idea is fine unless, like my husband this past feb., the stingy things go up your shorts and in that case wearing a dive skin does not help!! He ended up with all these little welts that lasted for a while. we did not see any jelly fish or anything but they did hurt!!1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kaly Erwin (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 3:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When we were snorkeling with Renee she referred to them as mini-jellies. We had a bunch of "bites" and a few even left a welt/mark. She was wearing a suit and had trouble on her neck, so I guess there's no 100% solution. While not horribly painful, it's an unpleasant sensation to be sure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #369) on Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Red-spotted and paired-bell siphonophores are around the southern Caribbean and Panama now. They are really thick in some areas. They have stinging cells on a yo-yo like string that can leave dotted welts in a line on the skin. The sting is a powerful little pop. I've heard some Bonaireans call them "poppers" as such. Folks with animal venom allergies need to be careful for any envenomations. As siphonophores they are related to Man-O-War. Vinegar is not recommended for them. We had a lot of success testing/using StingThing in Panama and Jellyfish Squish on Bonaire with siphonophores. Red-spotted or physonect siphonophore (pics posted on BT) is amazing to watch it casts a network in 365 degrees. They really look like alien aircraft, but a marvelous organisms. Other pics on Deloach p. 81.

S.Tink. Are you referring to the box jellies swarming 8-10 days after a full moon, which is a reproductive party? But jellies are birthed on any day or night of the month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Runrx (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok I am really concerned about these stinky things. My husband and I are coming to bonaire for the first time in april. Am I going to be miserable if I try to swim laps in the ocean? We are staying at harbor village.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Brown (BonaireTalker - Post #94) on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I really wouldnt be overly concerned. We have been there twicw now and have only encountered them one time. We are in the water at least 5-6 hours per day!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #371) on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 5:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

RunRx,
Swimming laps off Bonaire is just wonderful. I have been doing it for many years. From Harbor Village just swim north for 30 min and turn around and see if you can cover the same distance is less time. More or less time if you are in better shape. This approach gives you ~60 min swim over lots of interesting things. You can do this approach in many different places on Bonaire. One of my favorite is to enter at Andrea II and swim to Small Wall and back. Another is from Pink Beach north for 30 min. to the inlet and back. This is particularly interesting close to the fossil coral. Many of the Bonaire laps swims can be done out over the dropoff in one direction and in close over the other. Always lots to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Naylor (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #180) on Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 9:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What stinky things are you talking about. I certainly do not know. I love to spend several months every year in Bonaire. Just come and enjoy yourself and swim to your hearts content.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cat and Jude (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 10:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

They were siphonophores I believe. They aren't a constant problem, from what I've read, I think we just got unlucky with our timing. And unpleasant is all they are-my 8 year old even put up with them with a shrug. Have a wonderful time down there-we cannot WAIT to go back. Easily the most beautiful place I've ever been to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Stauber (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were in Bonaire the first half of this month. They seemed to peak around the 9th or 10th. The rest of the family felt the stings and got out of the water. I really didn't feel the sting, which was bad for me. About 2 to 5 hours after getting out of the water, the welts appeared - a lot of welts, then the itch started and stayed with me about a week.
Everybody I talked to said they are pretty uncommon and nobody had the reaction to them that I had.
I'm going to consider it up to a bad roll of the dice and it certainly won't keep me from going to Bonaire again and won't keep me from getting in the water again.
I might consider Grunt's suggestion above and invest the $30 for a skin.
Enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Runrx (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, March 29, 2010 - 2:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone! I think I just might get one of those dive skins. I also just ordered this stuff called "sea safe". It's supposed to stop those things from stinging you. Who knows--- maybe I wasted 12.99 but I thought I would try and be prepared. The only place I have ever experienced the stinging was in Barbados, but it sure made me miserable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #372) on Wednesday, April 7, 2010 - 5:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

RunRx,

Sea Safe has been around for 5+ years. It works for some folks, not at all on others. The question I hear most about SS is how long does it last for jellies and as an SPF. They don't have documented "washoff" times published. It is a clever idea (stealing the proteins from sea anemones), but I know surfers that swear by it and lifeguards that swear at it. So, just be prepared with skins and sting remedies. Also, you should consider natural/mineral sunscreens as well. SS is a chemical SPF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Runrx (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Wednesday, April 7, 2010 - 8:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I guess it doesn't matter if it works or not since my order never showed up. I also ordered dive skins that have nit arrived yet. Pooh! Do you have any idea if I can buy dive skins or sea safe on Bonaire? Also--- what is a good remedy for the stings? Ugh. I sure hope those creatures swim away before I get there on Saturday! Thanks for your wise advice!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #191) on Thursday, April 8, 2010 - 11:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Skins at Bruce Bowker's http://www.caribinn.com/retail.html
(I am not affiliated with the store)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #194) on Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So I only had stingy things on our first 2 days :) last weekend, which was kind of in the first couple of days after the 10 day window after the full moon. We saw pictures of Dozens of Portuguese Man o' Wars taken on the east coast in the Park last weekend. Now that is scary, Stinapa was informed. Nobody swims in those waters, so hopefully they stay on those remote areas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Runrx (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were in Bonaire all last week and I got stung quite a bit. Mostly right off the beach at harbor village in the AM while swimming laps. We snorkeled at klein a lot and they didn't bother me at all there! There must be something to that full moon thing. Still had an AWESOME first trip to Bonaire. Can't wait to return!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. Patch (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Saturday, May 22, 2010 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you get stings or coral cuts, just break the tip off an aloe and smear on the orange viscous liquid. It smells bad, but it's very effective.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration