BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Snorkeling Bonaire: Can you snorkle around the small Island?
Bonaire Talk: Snorkeling Bonaire: Archives: Archive 2001- 2007: Archives - 2005-06-01 to 2006-03-01: Can you snorkle around the small Island?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kent Gerber (BonaireTalker - Post #56) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 7:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I see the small Island on the map. It may take awhile but could you snorkle clear around the small Island? I didn't know how long it would take or how far it would be clear around the Island. Maybe certain sides would be to rough. Does anyone know?? Kent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16295) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 8:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kent, Klein Bonaire (the small island) is really not so small. There are 26 dive sites (give or take) around the island. For more info on Klein, Go here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16296) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 8:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kent, here is also another good map that has snorkel ratings

http://www.infobonaire.com/divemap.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16297) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 8:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here's a good virtual tour map of some places on Bonaire

http://www.virtualbonaire.com/index.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #213) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 8:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That small island is 1500 acres. When you get there and see how far offshore and how big it is you will decide to skip that snorkel :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16298) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK, THAT last link didn't help PBD any at all! LOL! I forgot how great those virtual links were!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16299) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

LOL Ken, I was just about to post those stats! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kent Gerber (BonaireTalker - Post #58) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Cyn and Ken. Looks like I will take the Woodwind over there or take the water taxi and come back in 6 hours. Thanks alot! Kent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2296) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Not to mention the strong Curacao-bound current that often develops in the afternoon off Southwest Corner!!! :–)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1892) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do think that the Woodwind is the best way to snokel over at Kline. They do a real nice drift sometimes starting at Ebos Reef depending on the current.
I think I remember a thread a long time ago that someone did snorkel around Kline but I would never attempt it. It can get kind of rough over there sometimes. If you do a search maybe you will find the thread that I am thinking of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1893) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 9:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I forgot, You can always go over on one of the Dive boats if they have room for cheap money but I still think the Woodwind is the best way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16300) on Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Uh...do they have "water taxis" from Klein back to Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pat murphy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #623) on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 11:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

cynde, i think the kanta di amor goes to klein...is that the water taxi you meant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16307) on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Pat, I didn't know there was one. I just didn't want Kent to think that there would be lots of water taxi's available at Klein to take him back whenever he wanted...I'm assuming he'd have to arrange for a time and pick up spot. I searched www.infobonaire.com and no info on water taxi's....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kent Gerber (BonaireTalker - Post #60) on Saturday, January 14, 2006 - 3:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Someone said that they come every 2 hours untill 5:00. I will check it out when I get there. Thanks for all your help. Kent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Gillan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #196) on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 3:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kent and Other Waterloggers.

I have done several long open water swims off Bonaire. To attempt these fin-less swims one should be in reasonable swim shape. I trained around 2 miles a day.

1. Swim Around Klein Bonaire.
The distance is ~8 miles in dropoff circumference. I started on the east coast (opposite Kralendijk) early in the morning and swam clockwise. It took 4 hours 58 minutes to complete. Wind and current can and do change often. Strongly recommend a coach or support person to go with you. Of course you don't have to do the whole circumnavigation at once. It is a wonderful, mindnumbing view of sea and reef.

2. Bud Light Swims.
This swim was designed to determine how far I could swim in a day (during daylight...sunrise to sunset). My name is Bud and this at Light (aka Bud Light). They started at the southern tip of Bonaire at the Red Slave Huts and went north until the body and mind gave in. The longest Bud Light went from Red Slave to 1000 Steps (~16.5 miles) in 11+hours. Of course liquid and sunscreen are necessary. I've done several of these BL swims and each one was a unique experience with currents, sunburn, jellies, boats, friendly barjacks, a myriad of creatures, topology, dreams, world class coral reefs, and water beyond compare.

I have notes in my waterlog if anyone really wants to be bored. But there are lots of great opportunities to swim and see off Bonaire. This should 'wet your whistle' so to speak.

Happy (H20)trails.
Bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cyn (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #16557) on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bud...wow..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #866) on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Double wow!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration