BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Support Bonaire: Support Bonaire, Inc. is Launched!
Bonaire Talk: Support Bonaire: Questions for and about Support Bonaire, Inc.: Support Bonaire, Inc. is Launched!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 2:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings!

The Board of Directors of Support Bonaire, Inc. is pleased to share the following press release with you announcing our launch this coming Monday. It has been provided in both ASCII format in the body of this post as well as a Word DOC file attachment.

Jake Richter
Treasurer and Founder
Support Bonaire, Inc.

---------------------------------------------

PRESS RELEASE
Press Contact: Jake Richter
Support Bonaire, Inc.
Phone: +5997-17-6773 (Bonaire)
Voice Mail: +1-703-783-1314
E-mail: info@SupportBonaire.org

New U.S. Non-Profit Company Created to Support Bonaire

BONAIRE, N.A. & NORFOLK, VA, USA September 24, 2001 The Board of Directors of Support Bonaire, Inc. today formally unveiled the Support Bonaire, Inc. organization to the world via a new Web site located at http://www.SupportBonaire.org.

Support Bonaire, Inc. is a U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) qualified 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable corporation, which means that U.S. taxpayers who want to donate money to support social and environmental non-profit projects on Bonaire can now get a tax deduction for such donations by donating to Support Bonaire, Inc. Previously, U.S. taxpayers who donated to Bonairean charities were not legally permitted to deduct the amount of their donation from their U.S. tax returns, which typically meant that the size of the donations was smaller, or even that donations were not made.

The effort was initiated by Bonaire residents and American citizens, Jake and Linda Richter, who realized some time ago that Bonaire's private sector and non-governmental organization (NGO) non-profit environmental and social organizations were not always able to raise the funds they needed for specific projects, due in part to the reluctance of American contributors to donate larger sums without being able to claim a tax benefit for such larger donations. After much research and work with specialized tax attorneys they determined that a U.S. non-profit corporation could be established to assist in both raising funds from fellow Americans, and supporting Bonairean environmental and social efforts. Thus Support Bonaire, Inc. was born.

The Richters searched for additional board members who had an interest in Bonaire and were qualified to participate. They managed to recruit Kalli DeMeyer, former Bonaire Marine Park manager; Jan Kloos, founding president of the Bonaire Nature Alliance; and Ben Buchbinder, a retired U.S. government employee. Together as a board, these five helped move Support Bonaire through the IRS qualification process, achieving 501(c)(3) status in late May 2001.

Over the course of the summer of 2001, the board put together various materials to assist Bonaire non-profit organizations (which must be established as Stichtings or Fundashons the Bonaire equivalent of a non-profit corporation in order to qualify for assistance) in applying for project grants through Support Bonaire, Inc., as well as materials to help potential donors understand more about the organization and how their donations would be used. All of these materials, as well as extensive background information, are available on the Support Bonaire, Inc. Web site at http://www.SupportBonaire.org.

The Web site also includes a link to a new section on the popular BonaireTalk Web site, where both non-profit groups as well as potential donors and group supporters can get together and discuss various projects and funding issues. The Support Bonaire section of BonaireTalk also allows Bonaire's non-profits to post requests for volunteers in specific areas, such as Web site design, accounting, veterinary skills, and education, among others, and potential volunteers who may be coming to Bonaire to offer their services to help those organizations.

There is also an on-line sign up at the Web site to a new newsletter Support Bonaire will be publishing on a semi-regular basis to share news about new projects, ask for input, and act as a matchmaker between donors of particular services and Bonaire non-profits needing those services.

To keep costs down, all of Support Bonaire, Inc.'s fund raising efforts will be done electronically, via the Web site and via e-mail, although donations will certainly be accepted by mail at the organization's mailing address.

It should be noted that while it is understandable that fund raising abilities of Support Bonaire, Inc. will be limited due to the terrible attacks in New York, Washington DC, and Pennsylvania on September 11th, the organization decided not to further delay launch of their Web site because Support Bonaire, Inc. would like to at least make potential donors and potential grantees aware of the organization's existence and its ability to provide both funding for qualified Bonairean non-profits, as well a tax deductible means for U.S. taxpayers to make that funding possible, both now and in the future.

Support Bonaire, Inc. is an organization dedicated to helping fund non-profit environmental and social projects on the Dutch Caribbean island of Bonaire, by being a U.S. Internal Revenue Service-approved non-profit organization, which in turn allows donors to take a tax deduction on funds they donate to Support Bonaire, Inc. Support Bonaire, Inc.'s virtual offices can be found at http://www.SupportBonaire.org. The organization's mailing address for donations and other paper correspondence is 109 E. Main Street, Suite 400, Norfolk, Virginia 23510-1647, U.S.A. Voice mail can be left at +1-703-783-1314, and FAXes can be sent to +1-703-783-1315. Contact via e-mail is preferred, at info@SupportBonaire.org.

-- 30 --

application/mswordPress Release - Launch - 20010924.doc
press_release_-_launch_-_200109.doc (31 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake (and the absent Linda) I am duly impressed!!! Ya done good, hopefully more good than any of us can imagine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 4:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Kelly.

I've already gotten one negative message about this effort, but I think that was based on a mis-understanding. We're hoping that it turns out to be helpful, as intended.

So please spread the word! And sign up for the newsletter.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Consider it done !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Schoepflin on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 4:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake and Linda.

Absolutely fabulous! Having worked with and for several non-profit orgs. in my life, I've a bit of understanding for the voluminous paperwork, time and effort it takes to launch a venture such as this. Judi and I will certainly get the word out to as many people as we can. Looking forward to supporting the org. and participating in the process. Hope to see you next spring - meanwhile we'll be watching developments and the cams.

Bri.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Schoepflin on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake and Linda.

Absolutely fabulous! Having worked with and for several non-profit orgs. in my life, I've a bit of understanding for the voluminous paperwork, time and effort it takes to launch a venture such as this. Judi and I will certainly get the word out to as many people as we can. Looking forward to supporting the org. and participating in the process. Hope to see you next spring - meanwhile we'll be watching developments and the cams.

Bri.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Schoepflin on Sunday, September 23, 2001 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry for the double post. Clownfish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deal on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake and Linda: I'll add our congratulations here as well. We forwarded your press release on to members of the January Gang at the Divi Flamingo...hoping to spread the word in this manner.
Again, good luck! It is a wonderful venture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 2:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just found this thread when I was looking for a place to put a note about Jong Bonaire's sweepstakes (not sure I put it in the right place now!)

GREAT job, Jake and Linda. I signed up for the newsletter, and look forward to hearing about the projects SupportBonaire will be involved with. There are a lot of calls (particularly right now) on our charitable dollars, but I still want to be able to make a difference to a wonderful place that makes a difference in my life. SupportBonaire will help, I'm sure, for those of us who want to do our bit. Thanks again for all you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, March 31, 2002 - 7:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I do now intend to make a contribution to this wonderful organization. I was hoping to see the "on line" payment method set up already, but since not, I will send my check to the address in Virginia. Let's all get out there and support this wonderul idea. They need all the help we can give them...we are fortunate enough to enjoy the beauty and wonders of Bonaire and her critters and her people, so I feel we should definitely give something back in return. Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Monday, April 1, 2002 - 11:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,
Can Support Bonaire provide financial support to the Chez Nous...the chef school for high school students on Bonaire? I understand a training trip to cooking schools in Italy has been arranged for this fall. Is supporting this kind of trip within the guidelines of Support Bonaire (I know the organizers would have to submit a proposal...etc.)?

Thanks...Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Monday, April 1, 2002 - 5:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Carole - we won't be doing on-line payments for some time. Costs quite a bit to set up and Support Bonaire's finances are minimal.

Scott - Support Bonaire could support Chez Nous if Chez Nous is not government operated, but I suspect that it is, since Chez Nous is part of the high school, and the high school is government operated. If Chez Nous became an independent non-profit, or if a new non-profit was set up with the goal of supporting culinary arts on Bonaire, SBI could support that.

As far as supporting travel and trips, that would likely be a low priority, as there are lots of on-island efforts which could use support and would keep the donations made here on Bonaire, helping the economy here.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a great picture of Linda Richter, president of Support Bonaire, Inc. donating a check to Marina Melis, the operator of the Donkey Sanctuary!
1,Linda Richter donation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Here is a great picture of Linda Richter, president of Support Bonaire, Inc. donating a check to Marina Melis, the operator of the Donkey Sanctuary!
Linda Richter donation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry folks, the file size was too big and I don't know how to reduce it! It was a great picture of the donation of a huge check and Linda was bottle feeding a baby donkey!!
If someone else knows how to reduce the file, just email me and I will email you the picture.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration