BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Support Bonaire: Support Bonaire Needs Your Old Equipment
Bonaire Talk: Support Bonaire: Questions for and about Support Bonaire, Inc.: Support Bonaire Needs Your Old Equipment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 4:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We realize (even in our own case), as Americans that cash is tight - all of our charitable cash contributions for the year after Sept. 11, 2001, have gone to U.S. charities involved in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks, such as the American Red Cross and helping.org. And we expect the same is the case with many of our fellow Americans. However, there is another way to help support Bonaire, even before the year is out, and that would be via the contribution of various used goods which Bonairean non-profit efforts could put to good use. Examples of what we have seen requests for include (all in usable condition):

- Snorkel gear - primarily for children and teenagers, as part of various educational programs for local kids.

- Computer equipment - working PCs of any form and shape, as well as peripherals such as modems, monitors, mice, and especially, printers. So far we've been approached by several non-profits for help in this area, including two environmental groups and another which deals with helping foster disadvantaged children from broken homes (Maria Hoppner Foundation).

- Computer software - for above computers as well as others which have already been donated - must be legal copies.

- Dog supplies - the Bonaire Animal Shelter is in need of 1" wide collars and leashes for big dogs, "Frontline" brand flea/tick Spot On treatment and prevention, and Dromtal Deworming Tablets.

- Christmas Presents for Kids - The Maria Hoppner Foundation, which takes in children from broken homes and provides foster care, currently has 12 boys and 4 girls under their care, ages 5 - 14 (most older than 9). If you would like to help make a Bonairean's child's Christmas extra special, consider contributing something which would make a nice present for one of these kids. If you want more information, contact the foundation at z.m.h.s.@bonairelive.com

Any and all of the above items can be shipped to:

Support Bonaire, Inc.
c/o AMCAR Freight
7700 NW 81st Place, Ste. 01
Miami, FL 33166

Phone (for FedEx/UPS purposes): 305-599-8866

Shipments intended to reach Bonaire before the end of the year must arrive in Miami no later than December 4, 2001.

If you are shipping any of the above goods, please e-mail donations@supportbonaire.org with a description of what you're sending and what you estimate the value to be so we can document it for shipment and for Bonaire customs. Once the goods reach Bonaire, we'll evaluate the used items, and send you a receipt you can present to the IRS. Please make sure to label all boxes with your sender name and address, and include the same in your e-mail to us. Should you be donating new items, please e-mail us the value, or better yet, if you can, FAX them to Support Bonaire at 703-783-1315 (Virginia number). Indicate in your e-mail to us whether you'd prefer to remain anonymous, or if we can publicly thank you for your contribution.

If you don't have any of the above items to contribute, consider a monetary contribution to help cover the costs of shipping all the donated items to Bonaire and paying for the duties on the goods when they get here.

Also, if you're an American taxpayer and own a vehicle on Bonaire, and it's in reasonable shape, and you want to get rid of it, consider donating it to Support Bonaire in exchange for a tax deduction. Many of Bonaire's non-profits are in serious need of transportation in any form.

If you want to get updates similar to this particular message, about what organizations on Bonaire are looking for and how you might be able to help, either via donations of goods or money, or by volunteering a little of your time, we ask that you please sign up for Support Bonaire's free newsletter at: http://www.supportbonaire.org/html/news___newsletter.html

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jake & Linda Richter for the Board of Directors
Support Bonaire, Inc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sherry baker on Tuesday, October 30, 2001 - 5:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

jake, thank you for the information. sounds like a wonderful way to donate some used but good items or new things too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, October 31, 2001 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

One more thing to add to the list, as a request from the Donkey Help Foundation:

- One or more paintball guns and paintballs filled with night-time (headlight) reflective paint.

Needed to mark donkeys with a proclivity for hanging out near roadways because they expect to be fed by people in cars.

The thought is that if drivers see the donkeys at night there will be less chance of fatal accidents (for both the donkeys and the occupants of the vehicles).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, November 1, 2001 - 9:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

And yet another item!

It appears that we are receiving a donation of an underwater camera housing in mint condition. The housing fits a Sony Mavica FD-91 camera, so, in order to make this a complete package which perhaps a Bonaire marine environmental group could put to use, if anyone has a Mavica FD-91 they are no longer using, please consider donating it to Support Bonaire!

Thanks,

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise L. Kacavas on Wednesday, November 7, 2001 - 9:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake and Linda, my husband and I have followed through on the contact for providing a child a Christmas present and have as a result agreed to sponsor a child. Who would have ever guessed that enjoying the Bonaire web cam so much would result in our being able to be of some small help, a friend, to a child in Bonaire. It is very nice to have this opportunity and we intend to do our best. Thankyou for providing the info/contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Wednesday, November 7, 2001 - 11:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Do I gather correctly from the above that when shipping c/o AMCAR, the donor pays shipping to MIA and thence to Bonaire is paid by Support Bonaire? If so, can a donor pay shipping all the way to Bonaire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 12:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Denise - Thank you for helping make a child's Christmas on Bonaire special!

Glen - Yes - you are correct. Donor pays shipping to MIA, and SBI pays from MIA to Bonaire. Should a Donor want to pay to cover shipment all the way to Bonaire as well as customs fees, the best way to handle that would be to make a small monetary donation to Support Bonaire to cover the additional cost (there's no easy way to separate things out with the boat shipment from Miami to Bonaire). Information on how to make such a financial donation ($30-50 should cover it for small items) can be found at http://www.SupportBonaire.org. Thanks for asking about this.

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana Herold on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 6:03 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake, In the past when I have traveled outside the US I have taken a large suit case with items donated by the local children in my neighborhood. They seem to like sharing some of their lifestyle with children in a different country. I was not aware (DUH) that this was also a need in Bonaire. The Children often donate books, hand held video games, clothes, crayons, sidewalk chalk, and just about anything that will fit into a suitcase for me to ship thru as luggage. On my next trip to Bonaire I will see what the kids will come up with or maybe you can give me some ideas on what is needed at that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, January 17, 2002 - 9:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yana (which is also my daughter's nickname!),

That would be great! The kids being fostered at the Maria Hoppner Foundation would certainly enjoy anything like that you could manage to bring along!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Sunday, February 3, 2002 - 10:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As a quick update, thanks to your contributions, Support Bonaire has so far been able to donate two notebook computers to the Maria Hoppner Foundation, two desktop systems to Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire, masks and fins for the Tortuganan di Boneiru effort to teach local children to snorkel (sponsored by the Bonaire Marine Park), and dog collars and flea & tick collars to the Bonaire Animal Shelter.

We also have a shipment of additional donations leaving Miami in about two weeks, so if you have anything you would like to donate, please let us know ASAP!

Thanks,

Jake
(for Support Bonaire, Inc.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Brown on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 5:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jake,

If you still need the camera for the Mavica housing, you might talk to Dee Scarr. She was able to acquire an entire setup from the manufacturer for her program. Also, I have a Mavica MVC CD300, if it will work in your housing, I would consider giving it to ya when I'm there between March 21 and April 1, 2002.

Gordy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 8:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gordy,

I just dropped Dee a note. Alas the CD300 won't fit the housing - it's only for an FD-91.

Thanks!

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Myers (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #154) on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:42 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I have just set a trust. We would like to donate, upon our demise, our scuba gear, 2+ full sets, to a charity in Bonaire. All shipping would be paid by the trust. Which charity would best use something like this?

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration