BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: BETTER LATE THEN NEVER...9/25-10/12
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2002-09-26 to 2003-03-31: BETTER LATE THEN NEVER...9/25-10/12
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Liz Ginocchio on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 12:05 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We've been back over a month, but it seems like years. We recently purchase a LARGE fixer up'er and that is all that we have been doing...I miss my home in Bonaire...

THE FLIGHT

We left Newark Airport in a rain storm. We flew AJ and as always everything was great. Our flight was delayed a in Jamaica, but we still made it to Bonaire in time. The return home was just as simple and pleasureable.

THE STAY

We stayed at our home at LBR and of course it was wonderful. We upgraded our stereo system to include CDs so now we can play Moogie all night long in Bonaire!!! We also now have a VCR so we can watch the tapes that Henrick took of us during the coral spawning. The first night we decided to have Chinese, between getting our bags, getting somethings for the morning and an 8 hour or so trip...who wants to cook. The next night the beginning of one highlight of the trip after another! We hosted the BT'ers BBQ and I think everyone had a good time...Yana thanks all the extras from the end of your trip...the salad dressing was a blessing! Jake, I need that recipe for the chicken...yummmmmmm, tell the kids the dinosaurs are safe and sound at our house...we tried to make it back, but you know how it is...we will be back in April and make it a point! Michelle, I still have your snorkle guide book...just need an address to send it too. Michael it was great to FINALLY meet you, what an entrance, late with a lovely ladies on each arm! To our wonderful new dive buddies Barb and Tom....we loved the pics and enjoyed the wine and cheese while standing under that 747! We got a special treat on the night of the regatta's Nations of Parades! Jake pulled us off the sidewalk and we got to walk for the USA..Hey Hey USA!!!! The food, drink, people, everything was great! We took a day and went to Washington Park, it was wonderful and I totally enjoyed it (hey don't miss the fresh water holes as the BIG iguanas hang out and pose for you (don't forget fresh fruit). Just bring your dramamine...the roads are VERY bumpy, but the trip is worth it. A final note, like in the states, where our favorite place to shop is Home Depot, In Bonaire it is Kooymans...

DIVING

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!! Our first dive was actually a night dive with Jake, Linda, Bas, Henrick and others for the coral spawning...way too cool! The last time I did a night dive I got disoriented and was afraid to do another (hadn't dove at night since 1996), but the coral spawning was something we couldn't pass up, Seeing the coral spawn was something that is undescribable...you just have to be there to totally enjoy it! During our day dives we saw all the usual stuff, the tarpons at the Hooker, the morays, the spiny lobsters, but I think the greatest thrill is to have been able to see at least one, but more like 2 turtles on every day dive we did. We can see that the conservation efforts are REALLY working!

THE FOOD

We ate in mostly, left overs from the BBQ! But we did go to Bobbijeans, which was excellent with Tom and Barbara for lunch one day. We also went to The Swiss Chalet and the food was outstanding, alot of it too!!! Mostly we ate in, except for an occassional local food vendor at the Regatta parties, which were always great.

THE MEDICAL ATTENTION

Yep, for the first time since 1976, Ed had to go to the Clinic. He had a problem with his ears. The first time we went, he prescribed a good anti inflammatory (naproxen) and good ear drops with a topical antibotic and something to help reduce the swelling...well Ed's ear wouldn't have it. We had to go back the second day as his out ear canal was TOTALLY SHUT CLOSED...yep I'm a nurse and it was the first time I ever saw that happen. The Dr. (who was excellent and REALLY knew his dive medicine) prescribed an age old remedy to reduce the swelling, a boric acid mixture soaked in a packing and stuffed in his ear. I resoaked it every 2 hours and low and behold...48 hours later, no swelling and the antibiotics and anti inflammatories worked! It did unfortunately curb some of our diving, but we did find out Bonaire has EXCELLENT medical care and a great pharmacy, everyone was informative and helpful.

AND IN CONCLUSION...

We will be back in April, as long as we don't rent out the place...we can see by the requests and renting out that people are beginning to visit Bonaire in droves once again! This time we hope to bring our grandson who will be about 19 months and his mom and dad to see the beauty of Bonaire...Until we return......Love to all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Erhard on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz,

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

Which doctor did you see at the Clinic? In the summer my son had a problem with his ear and was well taken care of at the Clinic and Pharmacy. The doctor's name eludes me right now but he came on a recommendation from the owner of where we were staying, Ultimo Cas. Fortunatly, it occured on our next to last day so we only missed the morning dive with Seb and Mary. We'll get them next time.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 11:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz,
Thanks for the report. Glad you had a great time. I still have not got the nerve up to do a night dive. Maybe one day?
Ida

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 1:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Liz, the report was well worth the wait!! That night dive must have been incredible!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration