BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: THEFT problem not going away by itself
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2001-11-30 to 2002-09-25: THEFT problem not going away by itself
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason thomas on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 2:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

from scubadiving.com I have left out the name of the resort

Dear Fellow Divers, just returned (june28-july5) from trip to Bonaire. All the rumors you may have heard re/ theft on Bonaire may not be true but theft is no rumor at Contrary to what the head of dive operations stated at orientation on day one of the trip, the wet gear storage locker on the south end of the resort is not secure and is prone to theft. Fortunately my wife and I lost ONLY our new masks and snorkels. The real pain was when we reported this crime to the head of dive operations at the he simply said "...must have been kids...nothing like the crime you folks have in the States" he wouldn't give us a claim form or any proof of the theft at all. The Activities Director, Janette, a wonderful professional, offered us some loaners for the rest of our trip. How do people rise to the level of Director-Dive Operations at BONAIRE w/o any customer relations skills? If you travel to BONAIRE ..... LOCK IT UP!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jake Richter - NetTech on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 3:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jason,

Please don't cross post messages from other boards here, especially edited ones which are not attributed to any known individual. If those individuals want a copy of their messages here on BonaireTalk, they are welcome to post them themselves, just like any other registered BonaireTalk user. Some boards also don't require authentication of their users' e-mail addresses, unlike BonaireTalk which does require that, so you could be spreading messages posted anonymously which are designed to hurt or defame people.

The particular thread which Jason excerpted the message from can be found at http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=529070&t=529070 and includes some additional commentary which adds some perspective (I think).

Jake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 6:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nuff said...secure your gear at all times...just like at "home". Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James T. McPeak on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 6:41 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I read the article in scuba.com that Jake posted. I also know the Director of Dive Operations pretty well. In fact, I go back with him when he was a dive master, and we spent a few nights in Karols etc. He's a good guy. I' m not disputing the author of this post. Rather, I can't imagine storing any gear in the south part of the resort. There is a dive shack on the north end where we have never had a problem. In fact, this year, Kathi and I left our wetsuits out on the drying shelf in the afternoon and forgot about them. The next morning we came down to go on the boat dive out to Klein. Our wetsuits were gone. Not to panic, but they were brand new. Here, Serge, the Dir. of Dive Ops took them in the shop before he left the day before so they wouldn't blow away or get stolen, even though we had them weighted down with belts. I feel badly the author had some stuff clipped, but conversely, we have only had positive things happen with Divi. Serge and I had a long talk this year about how some managers of the Divi wanted to make the resort more like the Caymans. What I mean is that you are catered to the point of lunacy. The whole concept of "Diving Freedom" means you must also act with some discretion and responsibility to yourself. Storing gear in a 24 hour accessable area has a price. Yes, it's convenient, but could it be stolen? That's why God invented dive bags.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 9:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I can't imagine anyone leaving there gear in a 24 hour accessable area. With what we pay for our gear, I'm keeping mine with me. Anyone can steal your gear even tourist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Owens on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 7:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

No matter where you dive, secure your gear... everyone would like to think there is a paradise for divers where you can leave your stuff laying around and not expect it to walk off, but the real world ain't like that. I've never been to a friendlier, more secure-feeling place than Bonaire, but my valuables and irreplaceables were locked up or on my person at all times. I have never had anything stolen (knock wood) on trips to Mexico, Honduras, Belize, the USVI, even Texas. Use your head, secure your gear; by not providing the opportunity, you may keep an honest man from becoming a thief.
geo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe chandler on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 10:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did have some gear stolen in Canada once. That is sorta like the northern tip of Bonaire, isn't it? Course it was locked up at the time :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Gater on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 9:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The south end ?? Has it been fixed up ?
The last time I stayed there this was an abandoned
area and I could not imagine any one leaving anything there. We were treated like kings by the dive operation and the resort staff the two times we were there last year. They have a night locked shed right out on the pier that is patrolled and locked after all divers are finished their night dives. When we got our weight belts we were assigned spots in this shed (not the south end which was closed due to Lenny damage)which we could use if we wanted to. The tank pick up area for remote shore dives was the only facility being used at the south end.
When I tell people about my trips to Bonaire
I state the with the way people that live on Bonaire are if you got something stolen it was most
likly another tourist and I mean just that.

God I love Bonarie

I had the fortune of being on 9 other islands in the last year some for just the day some for a week
of diving and God I love Bonarie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leif S on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Top 10 ways to prevent theft while diving Bonaire...

10. Only bring old, faded, worn-out stuff that looks like something someone else abandoned it last year.

9. Place a large brick of gray clay, a small alarm clock and a collection of miscellaneous brightly colored wires on the front seat of your rental car, with several wires strung up to the door handle, window sill, etc.

8. Place dead fish in your BCD pocket, glovebox, locker, etc. (Hint: wear your mask 24/7 during entire dive trip).

7. Feel free to leave a dry change of clothes in your rental car, but park it only at Sorobon (or, if you are not in Bonaire, at a "similar" resort).

6. Place an inflatable life-size doll in the driver's seat while you are diving (fully inflated, of course). Add sunglasses and hat for realism.

5. For a four person dive group, bring only three filled tanks and one empty. When you get to the site, exclaim "Gee, they were all full when I checked them out at the shop!" Then draw straws to determine who stays at the car while the others dive.

4. Only leave your gear next to someone else's cooler, more expensive looking gear.

3. Boldly label all gear with the name "Guido". Reinforce impression of mafia connections with sticker that says "You toucha' my gear, I breaka' you face!"

2. Eliminate all risk of equipment theft/loss by switching to new sport: "nude freediving".

1. Insist on a renting a vehicle with broken windows, rusted fenders, mismatched wheels, bent antenna, cracked dashboard and torn seats. Attach local political and environmental campaign bumper stickers to hold various body panels together. Do not wash. Leave in plain view with windows and doors wide open at all times. Store valuables in a black trash bag in the back seat.

Any other suggestions?

-LS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leif S on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

But seriously...

The risk of theft is present anywhere, more or less. There are easy ways to reduce the risk of loss. Humans are prone to temptation - whether locals or fellow tourists. My tactic is to reduce and/or eliminate the temptation of both established and potential pilferes by following a few simple guidelines:

1. Never leave something behind that you would be upset about losing.
2. Trust no one (well, maybe your spouse/dive buddy, but nobody else...)
3. Don't be obvious.

"Don't be obvious" means things like leaving windows open unless you are in the car with the A/C on. Nobody wants to get into a steaming hot car after a dive. Thus, the only good reason to close windows - and lock doors - is to secure valuables. If the windows are open, one can assume no valuables are present. If a burgular does stop by while you are underwater, at least you won't have to pay for a broken window. This also means parking "in defilade" when possible - placing your car so it is not visible from a distance or from the road. Also, when storing gear at a dive shop for an afternoon or overnight, arrange it to blend in with other equipment - not bundled up as a nice, discrete package. If a thief quickly snatches one or two items from the storage area, you don't want the one thing he grabs to be your entire set of gear, do you? And why not carry all the little stuff with you? I would never leave my mask, fins, regulator set, dive computer, camera or wallet unattended - whether it is someplace supposedly secure or not.

FWIW, I have not yet had any direct experience of theft on Bonaire.

-LS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 1:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Leif,
I appreciate your analysis. Some are prone to overstate or exaggerate the incidence of crime on Bonaire. You have not done this. In about 21 trips, like you, I've never had a problem. In six years we've never had anthing stolen from our home. We take many of the precautions you suggest. That said, we do know people who have had experiences with petty theft. They still visit Bonaire because they realize petty theft happens everywhere, and Bonaire has so many wonderful attributes.

Some who overstate or exaggerate the incidence of crime on Bonaire may not realize the doubt it might place in the minds of people who have not visited Bonaire, but are considering Bonaire as a possible destination.

Unfortunately, there are a number of businesses on Bonaire that are highly sensitive to fluctuations in tourism numbers...so if people are scared away due to unrealistic pictures of crime levels, these businesses get hurt badly. So the impact of untrue or exaggerated statements can be quite personal and negative to those trying to carve out a living on this wonderful island.

That is not to say that crime issue or any other issues should not be discussed...of course they should, and so should possible solutions such as investment in youth programs like Jong Bonaire.

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Cabus on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 3:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott,

I'm not sure whether an unrealistic picture was drawn here. We are only talking about petty crime. There is no "serious" crime on Bonaire, no organised "tourist ripp-off", no murders, no street gangs. Visit Jamaica, then you'll see the difference. My wife and I have never felt unsafe on Bonaire. We have felt unsafe on other islands.

But petty crime does exist. We visited Bonaire for the third time. In our 5 week stay we were confronted with petty crime 4 times.
1. Licenses plates stolen from our car in front of the house.
2. Some books and sun cream taken out the car.
3. Old Nike's stolen while diving.
4. Soap we used to defog our masks.

Like I said, nothing major (except perhaps the license plates), but annoying.

A tip. When you rent a car, take one of the license plates off the car and leave it in your hotel room or villa. If one license plate is stolen, it can easily and cheaply be replaced (10 Guilders). If both are stolen, it is possible that you are charged up to 176 Guilders.

(-: You have to be realistic about Bonaire, it's paradise, not heaven.

FWIW. We'll be back in November

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott and sharon barlass on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 9:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is exactly what I was TRYING to say..I was complimenting Leif for NOT overstating crime on Bonaire...like some others have on this board...so we are in complete agreement!

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Cabus on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I was perhaps reading too much between the lines. Glad we are in agreement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Brown on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just returned from my first trip to Bonaire and unfortunately had the spare tire stolen from our rental vehicle while diving Angel City. We intentionally left nothing of value in the car, except for t-shirts, towels, and snacks. Nothing else was taken except for tire. The worst part about the whole experience was the outrageous replacement cost the rental company charged us. I loved my Bonaire experience and am ready to return. Unfortunately crime is something that occurs everywhere and no matter how many precautions are taken there is always a chance that something may happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Matthew, wouldn't you just love to know where those tires are going?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 2:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to hear about the theft. Which rental agency did you use? Just curious. The rental agencies should find a way to secure/lock the spares onto the vehicle...requiring a key to remove the spare and the key would be kept on the iginition keyring. Is this a possibility?? Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Brown on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We used AB Car Rental since the office was located at Captain Don's. The tire was not secured and just laying on the floor of the van. Unfortunately it never occured to me to look for a place to lock the tire into, which probably should have been underneath. I asked several of the dive staff about the theft and everyone seemed surprised about the incident and the replacement cost. When my girlfriend told the AB representative that the tire was not secured under the van, but laying on the floor, the woman just chuckled and said "oh well." We are still investigating the outrageous replacement cost. I could probably buy a new tire and ship it to them myself for less than they are charging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 4:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I would like to know where they are going. I have repeatedly argued for painting the spares wheels in outrageous colors or polka dots to try to stem the tide...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 5:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great idea, Seb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 5:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I like your idea, too, Seb! That is unless it is the rental agencies hijacking their own tires back and forth....I doubt that very much, tho.

I would argue the replacement cost with AB or at least "civilly" attempt to disucss the matter with them and have them drop the whole thing or lower the replacement cost drastically. If there was a place to secure the tire in the van, then the rental agency should have done just that prior to releasing the vehicle to you. I would continue to "discuss" it with them. Keep us posted and good luck! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Goff on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 12:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Matthew Brown,
Sorry to hear about the theft.
I am wary of the high cost extra car rental insurance. Would you or anyone here on BT recommend taking the extra coverage offered by
the car rental agencies?
Dan Goff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leif S on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Spare Tire...

Note that if you rejected CDW and paid with a credit card, the theft loss of an actual part of the vehicle may indeed be a covered claim. Check your VISA or MasterCard member benefits.

-LS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 5:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Leif, you're right.. we pay for our rentals with the Citibank Card, we're covered for pretty much everything (spare tire included)..:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 6:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dan, I absolutely suggest you decline the CDW insurance. Check with your Credit card company first, but my MC or Amex will cover me COMPLETELY if I rent a covered vehicle ( usually not a truck) and charge everything to the CC. I STRONGLY advise you to call you CC company first and check, make notes ( day, time, date, person you spoke with.) I called them twice and asked to make sure. IF you get the CDW they are kind of off the hook - and YOU are on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jason thomas on Monday, July 22, 2002 - 7:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

what is CDW?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 8:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

the CDW (collision Damage Waiver?) does not cover theft or vandalism.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leif S on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 10:36 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

To clarify on rental insurance...

CDW = Collision Damage Waiver = not really a waiver, but just a term made up to sound like something it ain't. Technically, it is your acceptance of the agency's partial waiver of its right to collect damages in exchange for your agreement to purchase insurance. In all practical reality, it is actually your ACCEPTANCE of the purchase of the insurance policy brokered through the rental agency (in the U.S., if they simply called it the sale of a policy the agency itself would, in most jurisdictions, need an insurance sales license). In Bonaire this coverage has a several hundred dollar deductible and a list of exclusions - theft of the spare apparently being one of them.

Credit cards provide primary insurance on rental cars in most international markets, without deductible, and with exclusions mainly concerning just the type of vehicle. Most REQUIRE rejection of any other locally provided coverage like what you get when you don't explicitly reject CDW.

Your own primary insurance MAY provide coverage when you are outside your home country - read your policy. In the case of a MAJOR loss, this may become supplemental to your credit card insurance benefit.

Thus, IMHO, from BEST to WORST:

1. REJECT CDW, no matter what the rental agent says, and pay ONLY with a MC/VISA/AMEX for which you have CONFIRMED your coverage terms. Some cardmember service centers even have special people available to help overcome any local resistance to this choice.

2. Accept CDW but make sure anything lost, damaged or stolen is fully replaced or repaired before turning in the car. In the case of a stolen spare tire, wipers, or even a whole bumper, it will likely be cheaper to replace on your own than to pay a premium at the agency counter. It just depends on how valuable your time is and how resourceful you are.

3. Reject CDW and pay cash, thus taking maximum risk. This might be OK if you also plan on gambling away lots of perfectly good money... but note that this might not save you enough money to be worth it.

[OK, we are now at quite a tangent off of the original topic... perhaps this deserves its own thread at some point.]

-LS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb schulherr on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 9:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think the CDW does in fact cover theft, but only after the deductible is paid

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clay Lansdown on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 9:01 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

As far as the US goes I don't think there are any insurance companies that will provide liability coverage outside of the US and Canada.

While your credit card may provide coverage on the car you are driving, it will not provide liabilty coverage in case you damage someone else's car or property.

If you don't take the insurance offered by the rental company - as overpriced as I think it is - you are some risk. Only you can decide how much risk you are willing to take.
Personally I pay for the coverage when I am not in the US.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rita Daggett on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 - 10:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I dont think UK credit cards provide any car insurance (maybe 'gold' cards do)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration