BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: INCREDIBLE DOLPHIN ENCOUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: INCREDIBLE DOLPHIN ENCOUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE IN MA (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2772) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 3:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Woodwind goes above and beyond!! We were just getting back from a snorkel when Ulf called to let us know that the dolphins were out in front of Divi!!! Tom through a camera in the housing and we rushed off. We forgot our booties so Woowind quickly got us fins and brought us out to where they were playing!!!We were free diving and playing with them for about 45 minutes!!!!! There was a pod of 6 or 7.Two of them actually went down deep and came back with a purple stove pipe sponge to play fetch with Dee!!!! There are no words to describe the feeling during this encounter. We are forever greatful!!!!!!!!! On our second encounter, we were about to set sail on Woodwind's regular sail and snorkel when the dolphins were spotted. They altered their schedule to make sure the guests could have a chance to jump in with the dolphins!!!! Dee, Ulf and crew, you are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rest of trip report will be soon.

/image{1} should be \image

(Message edited by modroy on April 7, 2011)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave (BonaireTalker - Post #27) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I want to see - but something is wrong with the post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE IN MA (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2773) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 3:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OOPS! These three are when they were playing with the sponge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy - 'Rayman' (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4079) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 4:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

you got the slash going the wrong way Darlene ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE IN MA (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2775) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 4:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Roy! I am being very blonde right now :(
one more try

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13129) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 4:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW DARLENE!!!!!!! Totally, totally awesome stupendous encounter. Now, you have officially gained the ranks of the dolphin whisperer club. :)
I know how you are feeling, sure do, bet you are singing "Under the Sea, under the sea" from Aerial and the Little Mermaid. I had a grin on my face after my encounter last year. To see them interacting with the sponge is something I have not yet seen, so really something! WOWZA! I am green over here. Emerald green, but so glad you got to enjoy it up close and personal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3148) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 5:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

AWESOME!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8809) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 5:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

DAMN GIRL I THINK I HATE YOU!!!!!!

Wicked cool and good for you and good job Ulf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy - 'Rayman' (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4080) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 5:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great pics Darlene, those Dolphins surely are good posers :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mickey McCarthy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #931) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 5:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great experience for you and Tom Darlene. Almost certainly once in a lifetime to have them stay so long and then the sponge thing on top of it. I know you spend a lot of time on Bonaire and in the water, but still a rare happening. Are all the pictures yours or are there others involved?
Mick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3499) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 5:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

FABULOUS!!! Very rare to being able to spend 45 mins with these wonderful creatures. They look like bottlenose. You are very lucky! :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nic (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #142) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 9:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great shots, awesome encounter. More dolphin encounters lately than I've heard of in years past. Here's hoping they stick around till Mat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mellen (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Thursday, April 7, 2011 - 10:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much!!!! You're not having a "blonde moment"----simply still awestruck over your fabulous fun with the dolphins. peace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BEM (BonaireTalker - Post #90) on Friday, April 8, 2011 - 7:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW!
And I thought we were lucky when a pod passed by us (diving at Alice in Wonderland in March 2009.)

We didn't see any this year, but did get to see 72 squid at Salt Pier. They were in a long row looking at us.

Thanks for the pics - because I would not have believed you!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Menno (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #394) on Friday, April 8, 2011 - 9:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

And I am absolutely most definitely not jealous just like everybody else.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy Workman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #312) on Friday, April 8, 2011 - 11:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Incredible is an understatement Darlene! We've seen them pass by and we've played above water on the boat, but NEVER got that kind of interaction! I can't get over them bringing you a sponge to play with :) Great pictures too! Can't get much better than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Maggie/PS (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13652) on Friday, April 8, 2011 - 7:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How COMPLETELY FANTABULOUS Are these photos?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
♥♥♥♥♥

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE IN MA (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2777) on Friday, April 8, 2011 - 9:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am glad that everyone is enjoying the pictures!! Yes, they were Bottlenose dolphins and they were very playful. Tom gets all the glory for the pictures because he is the only one that had a camera!!! I am still in awe that we had this remarkable experience!!! The memory will last a lifetime!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1502) on Saturday, April 9, 2011 - 1:04 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Darlene and Tom --- I just CANNOT tell you how jealous I am of you!!!

But, SO glad such wonderful people had such a wonderful experience!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna-aire (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Saturday, April 9, 2011 - 7:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!! I hope to be so lucky when I'm there in July:)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Babs (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12293) on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 1:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

WOW, incredible Darlene! How wonderful, I'm so glad you and Tom got to be there for that! Wonderful pics, thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian ******** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4900) on Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 2:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Fantastic pictures, what a great encounter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly(*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6733) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 10:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is SO COOL ! You are so lucky to have gotten to play with them for so long!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jean Wood (BonaireTalker - Post #47) on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2109) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 4:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

that was incredible u are so lucky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Barbie"Ruth******Ken's forever love (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5651) on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 4:40 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Darlene, what an amazing experience!!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #767) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 6:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Major jealousy here, but major happiness for you as well. Great shots! What an experience!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Melching (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Friday, April 15, 2011 - 11:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Two more weeks and we are in Bonaire. I am hoping we get to see dolphins. Me and wife have only seen dolphins and the zoo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scubagirl M (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

FANTASTIC!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tony sclafani (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 11:08 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

omg what a trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mercy Baron (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #522) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 3:59 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Darlene...miss you! I had the same encounter on Turks & Caicos many years ago. A whole pod of dolphins played with us for over an hour and I will never forget it! No camera of course, but it's ingrained forever in my mind's eye. We were told not to touch them, but they kept bumping into us and nudging us to continue playing with them. They sure loved to play with us other mammals!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration