BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Today I Swam with Bottlenose Dolphins!
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Today I Swam with Bottlenose Dolphins!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12997) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 1:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Been on island almost a month now and am glad to say that the bottlenose dolphins are back! WooHoo!

We were going to dive the Lighthouse today and I always am looking for those magnificent creature and today it paid off. There they were, gracefully cresting and just frolicking about the reef's edge and in the shallows. While at same time, about 20 flamingos were flying low over the water, what a beautiful site to see!

Watched them for a while and noticed that this particular pod has baby dolphins too, very exciting! So, we gear up in snorkel gear, leave dive stuff in truck and go down to a few sites south, swam out and waited, they did not disappoint us, there they were swimming around us in circles, just breathtaking it was, had a couple of our neighbors with us too, so made it so much more fun sharing it with good friends. :)

Then continued on to our dive, which was really nice, lots of lobsters this trip and lionfish, oh my, they are just free swimming around in groups.

Gregg spotted the cutest burr fish with those big blue eyes today. Nice! When we got out of the dive, another pod of dolphins were passing by, pretty good morning down under I have to say!

No pictures, sorry, left the camera home this trip, enjoying just diving and taking in all mother nature has to offer.

And yes, lionfish sitings have been reported and someone is already on way out to collect them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #474) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 1:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Very cool. Do you see them just this time of year or other times of the year as well?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12998) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 2:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Usually see them this time of year and early spring. Water temps were 79 degrees Jan. 30th and for first few weeks, but this past week, have been a steady 80 degrees. Nice!

Been seeing a lot of the spinner dolphins, but they are quite shy and stay out deeper most times. Did swim with a pod of them last winter, whole pod passed under me about twenty feet, they were not getting any closer.

Posted last year of my experience with the bottlenose dolphins that grace Bonaire's waters, a once in a lifetime experierance that was! I came out of the water after that singing Under the Sea and felt like Aerial the Mermaid!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diane and Bea (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #783) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 2:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

How totally cool !!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #422) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 4:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When we were on Island in Jan. this year we were greeted by a very large pod of dolphins while on the Woodwind. Dee halted the boat and the dolphins swam around and under it for about 15 minutes. There were adults and juveniles. On our return after our snorkels we saw them again but they did not come to the boat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By *Linda* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #9071) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 5:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You are one luck lady, Debbie. Dolphins everywhere and babies, too! :):):)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3463) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OK Debbie..Now that I know they're there, I do expect to see them next week when we arrive! ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13001) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 7:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Vince, they probably will be going by your place around 8am. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6276) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 7:55 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I don't see them next time, Debbie, it's all your fault....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donna Moore (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Friday, February 18, 2011 - 8:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

TOTALLY WONDERFUL!!! I am SOOOOO jealous! I'll be there in July. Are they around then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13002) on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 7:49 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Haven't seen them in July. Bottlenose ones I mean. Winter months and early spring mostly the best time to see them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By nestor kopko (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #187) on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 9:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

My wife and I were on island first two weeks of November and saw dolphins on several occassions pass by the lighthouse. Did not get to swim with them, they were out too far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1976) on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 1:50 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

how wonderful. u are so lucky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian ******** (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4876) on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow how lucky to have such a cool encounter, I have heard that singing underwater or doing odd noises attracts them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Judy T (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5724) on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 9:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Debbie :)

Wow - you did it again! I'm so happy for you. So Gregg got to enjoy them this time? Gonna call you the dolphin whisperer :) That's something that will stay with you forever :) :) :)

Was so nice seeing you & finally spending some great days with you :)

Enjoy the rest of your time & hope you get to see lots more cool stuff :)

Hugs from Your Bonaire Sister :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Barbie"Ruth******Ken's forever love (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5475) on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 10:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awesome, Debbie!

Sounds like you are having a great time and relaxing! Glad to hear it!!!

Keep us posted every now and again...we need these little reports to keep us sane...especially with the threat of more snow tomorrow! ;)

Hugs :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denise K (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2896) on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie .. AWESOME, happy for ya !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Thorpe, (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #762) on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

So, you've been there for almost a month, just got to rub it in, don't you--lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Debbie B.~ Jersey Gal(*) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13004) on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 7:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, :)

Judy, It was so good to see you on island and our time spent together was just the best! And seeing that octopus together was pretty cool! Gregg got to see the dolphins too, haven't seen them since, but on the lookout always. Tell Les we have gotten to dive the Lighthouse! REally nice dive, huge sea fans abound. I was singing the BEatles song, "In an octopus's garden in the shade" down under, magnificient topograpy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Princeypoo******Kenny's Muffin Forever (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #811) on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 2:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Debbie B just says to the dolphins Come on in and they do

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration