BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Debating Choosing Another Island?
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Debating Choosing Another Island?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Miller (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 1:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I know this topic has been discussed a great deal as I have read the threads on this website. I am concerned with crime and am seriously thinking about canceling a trip I have planned for two weeks in late November/early December. I have non-refundable business class plane tickets as well as a deposit I have made for a private villa. Is it really as bad as the previous posts make it out to be? It is not safe to stay in a secluded beachfront villa? I have also rented a Jeep Wrangler and was thinking about purchasing a locking gas cap as well and bringing it with me. I am pretty unsure about my planned trip and would really like some honest opinions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lizard0924 (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #483) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 2:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Tim - I just returned from two weeks on Bonaire (fifth trip) and have nothing but positive things to say about my experience.

We, too, rented a private villa and one of the week's I spent alone there. While it was not beachfront, it was very isolated at the end of a dead end street (up in Santa Barbara) with only one other house nearby. I had nothing negative occur, except for the scorpion that appeared one morning in the middle of the living room floor. :)

I took no special precautions with my vehicle and suffered no loss of gas at any time nor any theft while it was parked at any of the shore diving sites. My truck did spend a significant amount of time parked unattended at locations other than the villa (after dark), and I still had no issues. (I know there are certain areas more prone to crime than others, obviously.)

I am not a Pollyanna about the crime issues on Bonaire. I am a realist and know they exist, but I have to say that I saw more visible police presence in the two weeks I was there this year than in the four previous trips combined. And, by being practical, we've managed to avoid being a victim in any way.

I already booked my return trip for two weeks in June, and I have absolutely no reservations about going back. I will live there full-time eventually, it is just a matter of when not if.

Go and have a good time. Take simple precautions (lock valuables in a safe when you're not using them, be aware of your surroundings, don't leave anything you care about in your truck while diving), and enjoy yourself.

Liz

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd H (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #645) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to BT .
Even at its worst it is not as bad as some would have you think .
Use precautions and do not flaunt valuables .
Leave nothing in your truck you do not want to lose , lock all doors and windows , have a great time .
I honestly think some folk let their guard down when they are on such a lovely peaceful island , then they are victimized and get all uptight .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie {Moderator} (Moderator - Post #1092) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 3:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

just to clarify the above post.. Lock house doors and window when out.. Lock car doors and window while in town with nothing of value in the car.. Keep your doors unlocked and windows DOWN at dive sites....and of course NOTHING that you value in the truck.....

also when you check out a truck.. make sure it has scratches.. and a spare tire....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd H (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #646) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 3:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Freddie , I am running on one cup of Coffee .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3437) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 6:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tim..Personally I have been to many many islands in the Caribbean. I have to say with the exception of Little Cayman (which about 10 years ago) Bonaire is the safest island we've ever been on.

Having said that, a locking gas cap certainly can't hurt. Just follow the advice which has been repeated many times on this board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Gray (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Saturday, February 5, 2011 - 10:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We also just spent two weeks on Bonaire (our 5th visit) and had no issues whatsoever. As soon as we can, our 6th trip will be planned (which isn't soon enough :)) Our first trip was 20 years ago and we have been taking our son since he was 2 1/2 years old who is now 15 and diving with us.

If you enjoy beautiful dives with an enormous diversity of fish, a friendly island and the most relaxing atmosphere, then Bonaire is the place to go. Being able to shore dive at your own pace is one of the best percs of the island.

Use common sense and go on vacation and have a wonderful time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Kehnle (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #205) on Sunday, February 6, 2011 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Tim -- I have to agree with all the other responses. We will make our 15th trip to Bonaire next week, and we have never felt unsafe or threatened. As in any situation, even at home, just be sensible.

Anyway, where would you go a) that is cooler than Bonaire and b) that is essentially crime-free?

The last time we were in Paris, my wife's necklace "went missing.". We're going back to Paris in the spring. If a tank of gas is siphoned off in Bonaire, you're still in Bonaire! How cool is that!?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patricia Shapiro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #144) on Sunday, February 6, 2011 - 1:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have travelled to a great many islands in the Caribbean and Bonaire is the one that we have found "the safest". Put your valuables like passports, etc. in a safe. Leave nothing of value in your rental car or truck. Lock your room door. My husband has a small mesh pouch he ties to his swimming trunks - in it, we put one credit card + the key to the truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Neal (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Sunday, February 6, 2011 - 3:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We go to other islands and go to Bonaire every two years, We will be back in Bonaire in 2012. We were there in September. Before the last trip was a trip to Saba. This year will be a trip to Dominica. In time age will make us stop diving. But we will still go back to Bonaire.

Crime in Bonaire is no worse than anywhere else, and better than a lot of destinations. The people of Bonaire make you feel so welcome and safe that you feel betrayed by anything that goes wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert J. Patch (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Sunday, February 6, 2011 - 6:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tim-- I've been coming to Bonaire 29 years and never a hint of trouble. There are a few young men on the island who are on drugs, and they tend to steal to feed their habit, but for years there's been no rough stuff. The Bonaireans know who they are and where they hang out, so no one can get away with much on this small island. Also, with the Dutch now in charge, even that tiny bit of crime should decrease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Miller (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Sunday, February 6, 2011 - 6:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I really appreciate all of the comments. They were most helpful. I am going to leave my reservations in place and stop worrying about it. Thanks for being so helpful, I am really glad I stumbled upon this site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1580) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 3:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You will not be sorry. Just be smart about things (as listed above) and you will have a great time. The diving is amazing.

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jane (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Monday, February 7, 2011 - 3:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tim -

We made our second trip to Bonaire in the fall, and after reading about petty crime we also had second thoughts. Now having spent three weeks there I want to reiterate what others have said - be reasonably cautious and have a wonderful time. It is impossible not to love Bonaire. We started planning our next trip on the flight home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #311) on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 - 4:39 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've been to Bonaire, stayed in numerous places, dived all over the island and never had a problem with crime. It's there. But there's a slim chance you'll encounter any. This is as clean and safe an island as you'll find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wendy pohlmann (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 - 11:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Going to Bonaire on Saturday - our 4th year - and we truly count down the days until the next trip. We have never had an issue with safety or theft - use common sense - if someone wants to steal our sandwiches from the truck - no big loss. Four more days till paradise...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rose Checchio (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 10:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have been going to Bonaire for over 2o years and my husband I just received our certification in November. We were diving by the salt mines and we locked our truck and they smashed the window and stole our camera and my pocketbook with $20 in it and all of my credit cards. As we were driving down the road I found my bag along side the road with all of my cards and drivers license I was so thankful, to the robbers:) It was a lessoned learned, I was always told not to lock the vehicle and to leave the windows down and I will never do it again. This incident wouldn't deter me from coming back to bonaire, I will never lock my doors or leave anything in my truck that is valuable. It is too beautiful of an island not to experience all that it has to offer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveSergeant (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We'll be going to Bonaire in April 2012 for the first time and will take the normal precautions as outlined here, especially when diving the more remote areas. We've been thinking about Bonaire for quite a while and I've resisted due to the apparent acceptance of this petty crime as being tolerable.

I think my resistance is a professional thing. I'm a cop, and reading about the seeming prevalence of vehicle breakins I wonder how, on such a small island with small population, the folks who break into cars and trucks aren't caught more often. Is it a lack of investigative resources?

I admit I do not know much about the criminal justice system on Bonaire, but some investigative techniques seem universal. A few sting operations and some time spent on surveillance of remote areas might do wonders.

So, for those who are living on Bonaire (especially any of my brother officers), or who have good knowledge of the happenings there, what are your thoughts and is there anything that could be done that isn't?

Thanks in advance for a productive discussion. As a note, I am not trying to be critical of anybody, especially the police. I am just looking for understanding of the situation.

Yours,
DS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #312) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 3:37 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great post. I would urge you to rent with Telerin. Poppy will get you a cell phone with the appropriate numbers in place. Makes me feel a bit safer in a remote place to know I can call and get a ride if someone removes the truck battery. But as I posted before, I've been to Bonaire 13 times without ever a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveSergeant (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 6:16 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Bill,

Good idea having a cell phone. I have a waterproof pouch it could ride in when diving. It might save a bit of hiking for help!

I wonder if my Verizon phone from the states would work. I'll check. If not, renting might be well worth it

DS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15563) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 7:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

DS :)
Great Post...
just to let you know... under Bonairian law, you may not retain a person for any reason... that is punishable by law.. so even if you catch the little ba$t@rd that is ransacking your car, you cannot legally do anything about it... In this case it is good to have a camera going and take a photo.... or a video of the perp... then REPORT it to the police with the photo evidence.. Maybe then, unless it is their relative, something wil be done.. expect at least 2 hours at the police station while making your report...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1238) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 9:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just as a note here, we were there Jan of this year (seems sooo long ago!), and I did notice a very visual presence of police out and about. In town, outta town, and at dive sites. Also the harbor police were seen daily, patrolling the waters.
1st time I've seen this since 1st trip in '92, and yearly trips since.
I think the gvmt change is responsible for this. Time will tell.
Onward...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveSergeant (BonaireTalker - Post #14) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:38 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the feedback Brenda. I'm heartened to see that there is a visible presence. A lot of the time that is all that is needed to move the hoodlums along.

I'm not familiar with the politics of Bonaire, but maybe the new gov't has an idea about the perceived problem and is taking steps.

Thanks again,
DS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Tanke (BonaireTalker - Post #11) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 3:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tim,

My wife and I have gone to Bonaire 2x (2 weeks each)and never had any problems with crime. We take the recommended precautions (don't leave things in the truck, etc) but haven't had any bad experiences, yet. We also rented a private villa and have always felt safe. We've traveled quite a bit in the Caribbean and SE Asia.....Bonaire always has seemed at least as safe as the other places we've visited.

I'm not saying that there is no crime. I believe all of the stories, but I also think that many "uneventful" experiences from non-victims go unreported. Just as visitors from another country may assume that if you visit NYC, LA or DC you are sure to be mugged/murdered.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah Jane {Ess Jay} (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2543) on Monday, March 7, 2011 - 11:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Tim, happy to read you have not cancelled. I have been to Bonaire approx. 8 times during the past 10 years or so. We have stayed at both private villas and hotels - no trouble at all. Wherever you vacation in this world, it is always wise to use common sense... enjoy Bonaire, it is a beautiful island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DiveSergeant (BonaireTalker - Post #24) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 11:00 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Freddie,

I almost missed your response to my earlier post! Thanks for the heads-up about not being allowed to detain the little goblins if they are caught in the act. You know that would be an automatic reaction in my case.

It sounds like Bonaire is what we like to call a "Criminal Empowerment Zone"!

I imagine feeding them to the fish is right out also...:-) So the option of filming them and spending a few hours in the police station is the only way to go.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
DS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15648) on Tuesday, March 8, 2011 - 11:02 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yup a good lens makes all the difference....:) have a safe trip.....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration