BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Just in from Bonaire!
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Just in from Bonaire!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1194) on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:34 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Landed in a blizzard here at home, nasty landing, great job by the pilots. We were the last flight into YHZ, and still closed this am. ugghh

So, trip was as expected...fantastic! We had rain daily for the 1st 4 days, short heavy downpours 3-5x's daily. Lots of water damage (cracks etc.) to the roads, and properties (patios etc). It's my understanding that they have begun spraying about the island for mosquitoes. Great amounts of standing water. And the grass......holy...waist high grass walking about. Very lush green beautiful island right now. Apparently the cactus were so busy soaking up water, many fell, and the park was closed while we were there.

It was fun playing/diving in surge on Bonaire, docks were damaged, and places were pulling up some boards to allow the swells to pass up and through, rather than crashing and smashing.

I did see lots of coral bleaching, however signs of regeneration (new growth) beginning on the bleached areas.

Tarpon everywhere, dolphin (3x's 1 day!), turtles, huge grouper and insanely huge snappers (4', I had no idea!), octos, squid, angels, eagle rays, on and on. Lots of deep sea jellies and aliens coming up with the currents.

Lionfish on every dive in multiples, the largest being 6", the majority under 2" (measure body length only, of the 1s I saw). Our dm on 1 dive took 4 off 1 large sponge formation (they double back and spear them when guests aren't around), didn't know till back on the boat. The spear guns are a very slick little unit, didn't even notice it among his gear. Allot of the dms and locals are eating them, they divi up the catch after every dive, and a bag for Stinpa. Back from the northern dives, they had 2 coolers full. I don't see that they (lf) won't become permanent residents.

We had no issues with mosquitoes, no bites, never saw even 1, but it was quite windy the whole time there. But dragonflies, holy at dusk and dawn looked like a fairy sceen from a movie their wings twinkling in the lights. They take their jobs seriously!

Picked up the dogs already, they had a nice vacation too!

Now, gotta go shovel.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ***Ron Gould*** (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2343) on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 11:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for sharing Brenda...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3389) on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 1:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the update Brenda..We LOVE the dragonflies!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (LBR32) (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #379) on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 1:33 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the report, Brenda. Sounds like you had a great time !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yo MO - Bonaire bound....soon (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5957) on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 2:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brenda - wish I'd known you were there. We were there from Dec 23 - Jan 7. I'll have my trip report done by the end of the week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1197) on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 5:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

yes, too bad 'bout that Yo.

2 more firsts,
the police presence around the island and the harbor police is/are highly visible.

I flooded my camera.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1873) on Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

brenda
so glad u had a great time. vac takes forever to get here and is over in the blink of an eye

so sorry u came back to such cr%&%*py weather
hugs
elaine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brenda (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1216) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 10:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.bonairepros.com/blog/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R J (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #195) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 3:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the report. Seeing the dolphin must have been exciting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marge karalis (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #987) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 4:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

What a nice report. Do you have any more pics to post. We'd love to see more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Superturtle (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4350) on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 11:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just now found your Trip Report, Brenda. All I can say is..........

WOW!!!!!

Sounds like you had a well deserved, fantastic time!!!

GLad you had fun, but now back to reality. More snow on the way, I'm afraid!!!

:) Bill :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric author of "Why is the Grass Green?" (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1555) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

If only we could train dragonflies to eat lionfish!

e.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Neal (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 6:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dragonflies eat mosquitoes. That's good enough for me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration