BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: General Report
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: General Report
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Blanchard (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #403) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 4:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just returned from 2 weeks on Bonaire. This will be a general report with specifics under related categories such as: Getting There, Dining, Accommodations, Snorkeling, etc.

It was particularly rainy the past 2 weeks. Reports said they have received a record amount of rainfall since September 2010. However, the mosquito population was not too bad and controllable with OFF or other repellants.

Our only complaint was the number of cruise ships. there were 3 the week of 1/15 and 5 the week of 1/22. I see little advantage to Bonaire unless it is a tax advantage. The passengers do not buy much in town and seem only to lounge at Karels or Paradise Moon and nurse one beer. We witnessed them touching a turtle near Klein and stepping on coral in the same area. I guess I am not a fan of the cruise ship passengers. The good news, I guess, is that the tourism group voted to limit the number of ships next season to the same number as this year.

The transition to the dollar seems to be no problem except there is a lack of coinage and some retailers are having some difficulty with that. The prices in general seem a bit higher but the 8% sales tax is now built in the price. The Venezulean Fruit Stand prices were very high and it is suspected, but not proven, that they only substituted $$ for Florin, and therefore, very high price on some products.

The rain has had an adverse effect on some roads and the long road in the park is closed. I understand (we did not go) that the short route is nearly impassable. Also, the dirt road going to the mangrove center is in very poor condition. A friend got stuck in the mud near Maiky Shack and had to be pushed out by locals.

Finally, food was plentiful at Cultimara, and the Warehouse. Also, the store across from the warehouse had good supplies. The only item in short supply our first week was Gouda also avacados were never available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd H (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #638) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 5:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for sharing , I too could live without Cruise Ships around . Definitely changes the personality of the Island when they arrive .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #30574) on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 8:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great report George. I have to agree that Klein should be closed to the boat people...Brings tears to my eyes when I see them walking all over the place like true pod people. No respect for the corals at all. Who is making all the money here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Antoine Dodson (BonaireTalker - Post #76) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Water taxi, Woodwind, daysails, snorkel trips, scooter rentals and not me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By petejerry@norwoodlight.com (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 5:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

This will be are third trip to the island
heading out on the Jan, 29

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart slavin (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #121) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 11:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks..so sorry to have missed it this year.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration