BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Bill and Cindy Dive Update
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Bill and Cindy Dive Update
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #300) on Monday, January 3, 2011 - 7:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We had two great east coast dives with Bas Tol from VIP divers. I've dived with Bas before and now he works for VIP which was just around the corner from the Divi, where we stayed. First, we dove Boca Onima. I had watched waves roll into the Onima in the past and never dreamed I'd actually swim through the waves to the grandest coral reef on the island. Cindy looked down and said, "We can do that." With coaching from Bas we made it without a problem and the dive was astounding. Huge coral formations. Also saw Bas kill three Lion Fish. Next I did a night dive with Bas at Kai. We saw:
2 juvenile lion fish that are no more.
beaded sea cucumbers
spotted moray purple mouth
moray green
moray viper
moray basket star on seafan
big rainbow parrot fish cleaned by 2 black brotula
large hawksbill turtle
spiny lobster
spotted spiny lobster
copper lobster
flaming reef lobster
small cowrie batwing
coral crab
channel clinging crab
red ridged clinging crab
orange ball corallimorph spotted seahare octopus
>> 2 caribbean tongue fish
>> spotted cleaner shrimp
>> red night shrimp
>> hidden cleaner shrimp
>> banded coral shrimp
>> golden coral shrimp
>> shrimp with white mittens

I definitely saw some things I'd never seen before. What I like about Bas isn't just his knowledge but his enthusiasm. Every time we go out he's as excited as he would be on his first dive.

I'm eager to go back and dive Boca Spelonk.We saw more fish than we've ever seen at Bonaire. Maybe the Lion fish are attracting them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15460) on Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 4:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sounds like you had a fabulous time Bill :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Yana girl (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #804) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 8:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bill, sounds like you are going down the same addiction road that I am on....adventure diving with Bas Tol at VI P Diving ....and ain't it GREAT. Will finish this later.....I'm in ATL trying for the 3rd time to get home!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1877) on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 3:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

sounds great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #302) on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 3:53 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It was a blast for both Cindy and me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Nic (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #129) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 4:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for telling the story!

May I ask a question about your Onima Bay experience? What were the wind conditions? Was it during the typical 20 mph East West winds or did you do it in a period of wind reversals?

Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Perkins (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #303) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 4:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We checked with windguru.com to make sure the wind and wave conditions were low. It's not a dive Bas does if the waves are high. I was surprised at how easy it was to navigate through the waves. The same is true of Kai. It's a great dive but if the wind is up the channel could pull a diver out to the sea.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration