BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: 7 days of rain.
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: 7 days of rain.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward & Olga Godlevsky (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

First experience, and guess what - 7 days of rain. Who said it is a desert island with killing sun? You are wrong. It is a wet gloomy chilly place....

Well, OK, it was not that bad, there were 3 days with sun-n-clouds, so we even get a little tan, but trust me - no sunscreen was needed. There was a lot of fun diving and other stuff, but weather was a miss for sure.

Dates were Nov 27 - Dec 4.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patricia Shapiro (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #139) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 2:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is too bad - but maybe the problem is the time of year. We always visit in February and we have never seen rain yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Oliveira (LBR28) (BonaireTalker - Post #94) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 2:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

not much has changed, as far as the rain. It is really pouring at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd H (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #619) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 2:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It is a global anomaly . Do not blame Bonaire .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Oliveira (LBR28) (BonaireTalker - Post #95) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 3:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'll take "warm" rain any day over snow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward & Olga Godlevsky (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 3:19 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I like it dry. Better sparkling 10ºF than soaking 80º. I like fish, but I am not the one. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #923) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 5:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

On Bonaire we were much more lucky with these very strange weeks and weeks of rain than the next island and the Caribbean coast of Venezuela .... have a look at the pictures from Isla Margarita .....
http://www.noticias24.com/actualidad/noticia/184156/en-fotos-fuertes-lluvias-inundan-calles-de-altagracia-y-juan-griego-en-nueva-esparta/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By KOB (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #349) on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 9:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with Peter. You don't have to shovel rain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3359) on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 7:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ed & Olga..from what I've read, this has been one of the wettest rainy seasons in some 25 years. So as they say, timing in life is everything.
I have no doubt the real Bonairean weather will soon kick in.

Last year, everyone was complaining as to how dry it was and they were even asking folks to put some water out for the wildlife. Go figure!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark (BonaireTalker - Post #22) on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 2:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You could be in Southern Cali. I heard they received 1/3 of their annual rainfall in just one week last week. It's everywhere I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kate Hickson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #381) on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 2:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brigitte, thanks for that link. The weather is crazy right now (snow in London, rain in SoCal)! I sure hope the rains end before I get there on Friday. But if not, we just roll with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #924) on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 3:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It's still raining but the last days like in a "normal" rainy season ... means shower for 15 minutes ... sun shine ... 2 hours later shower ... sun shine ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #925) on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 3:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

... and not only Cali hat that much rain. Colombia called 3 weeks ago an emergency state in 26 of their 32 states !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Laura Kushner (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #3) on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bonaire's average rainfall is 20.5 inches, with 65% occurring October through January.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #926) on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 4:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Laura, this year nothing is avarage.... I think the average rainfall you mentioned happend in the 2 days when hurrican Tomas passed the islands - at least on Curacao for sure, but I dont think much less on Bonaire. No flooding really on Bonaire, but biiigg damage on Curacao.
This year it rained since end May (means also in our dry months !) very regularly and in October + November days in a row

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian ******* (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4825) on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 5:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Our weather in the UK is screwed up as well and we are in a severe cold snap that normally we would not get until late Jan. The normal jetstream that runs from West to East is running North before it gets to us and we have weather from the very icy north. Rain would be very good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trevor Naylor (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #271) on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 5:56 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sunny Spain is not living up to its name. It has poured it down for several days since I returned from Bonaire last week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward & Olga Godlevsky (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 12:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

>>This year it rained since end May (means also in our dry months !) very regularly and in October + November days in a row (Brigitte Kley)

Extrapolating this abruptly declining line of weather patterns to next year, I would say....November-December 2011 be ready to see some random snow falls in Bonaire. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #927) on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 1:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh no Edward & Olga, no chance ... but a big chance that rainy season forgets to come to Bonaire like it did several times in the last 10 years ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brigitte Kley - Coco Palm Garden (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #928) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 8:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just read it ... Puerto Rico had the wettes year since records exist !
The article was about the unbelievable increase in Asthma cases.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4230) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 8:55 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Since we are now Dutch, not only do we have to accept their laws but there weather..with that in mind I offer free snow plowing on Bonaire with each $10.00 purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sheila K (BonaireTalker - Post #48) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 2:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We just finished snowblowing our driveway (3" new snow!) and have an extra snowblower-would you like us to bring it down this weekend, Michael, just in case you need to make good on your offer??? I sure hope we don't run into any snow during our Jan.1-15 trip, but I guess you never know... 8-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince DePietro-www.bonairebeachcondo.com (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3366) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Snow?? Did I hear Snow?? Just got back from clearing 24 inches (and that was not in a drift).
North Jersey in Passaic and Bergen counties got socked.
Must be global warming! ;)
And of course when I think of our guests on Bonaire, I must be doing something wrong!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Oliveira (LBR28) (BonaireTalker - Post #96) on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 7:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

It seems that the weather is changing here on Bonaire. Overcast yesterday but no rain, nothing but sunshine today. Actually got some outdoor painting done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4233) on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 1:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

it is pouring in Hato as I write

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark (BonaireTalker - Post #25) on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The 10 day forecast as of right now is calling for 30% chance of rain everyday. It better clear up when I get there in 15 days!

(Message edited by scuba1727 on December 29, 2010)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark (BonaireTalker - Post #26) on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 2:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The 10 day forecast as of right now is calling for 30% chance of rain everyday. It better clear up when I get there in 15 days!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Just little ole me with a (*) (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6171) on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 3:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael...can you do an UN-rain dance!!! :(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fid Chinoy (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #273) on Tuesday, January 4, 2011 - 10:36 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We have been here since December 25th and it has been great. It rains the odd time for 10 or 20 minutes and then it is over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #4238) on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 10:06 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

It appears that every time I have my car washed, it rains..washed it two days ago..viola.. if you see my car dirty, then expect rain within 24 hours!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freddie................someoneisawizeass (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #15428) on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 10:50 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

please stop washing your car Michael......... Please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burt F. Witlin (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 12:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael,

If you promise not to wash your car between January 10th and 25th I'll buy you a coupon book for a year of car washes. LOL.

Actually, I'm going to Bonaire on the trip of a lifetime and nothing, and I mean NOTHING is going to spoil that. I was created waterproof and since I will be spending as much time under (diving) and in (snorkeling) the water as on dry land, I'm sure if it rains it won't bother me. Actually it might help to wash off some of the salt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Brown (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #172) on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 1:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Good attitude Burt....you will love every minute of Bonaire!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward & Olga Godlevsky (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #9) on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 - 3:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

>>nothing but sunshine today. Actually got some outdoor painting done. (Peter)

This is weather trick, do not bite into it. Use this chance to insulate your house and install heating system. :)

>>please stop washing your car Michael..(Freddie)

LOL :D

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration