BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Just got home last night
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2006-2008: Archives - 2008-03-01 to 2008-07-31: Just got home last night
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shawn thiele (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #195) on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Well I thought I'd post about the trip while it is all still fresh in my mind. This was my 2nd trip to Bonaire, and the 1st for my gf. She was unable to dive as she has asthma, so she snorkeled while I dove. I'll break the trip into different parts...

Airline: American Airlines was pretty decent and I can't really say anything bad about them. The only bad part is the huge layover of about 4-5 hours between flights when you fly out of Ohare. No problem with luggage or anything like that. American Eagle on the other hand was a nightmare. For 1 those planes are so tiny and we were told we didn't have enough fuel to run the A/C when we were getting on the plane, which makes you wonder about things in general. The chairs were uncomfortable and cramped more so than the AA, delta, and NWA flights I've taken previously to other places. The other thing was that they left 17 people in san juan due to weight issues with the plane. Thankfully we weren't one of those 17, but I feel horrible for those people. I've heard from others that American Eagle is up for sale and going down the tubes, I'd pay extra next time to take delta.

Golden Reef Inn
I stayed here on my last trip in the same 1 bedroom type apartment. It looks like Liz and Ed did some upgrades to things in the room and around the property since the last time I was there. Gibi's breakfast was great each morning as well as his dinner party during the week. It's not on the ocean, but it's by far and away one of the best budget accommodations I think you'll find on the island.

Diving
The diving was great just like before, however, visibility was a bit less this time around. It was quite windy all week, and visibility ranged from as bad as 30 feet to about 70 feet at best I'd say. You'll never beat the diving on bonaire. I dove with wannadive again and great and easy service as always. I love their laid back approach to everything. Eventually when I recharge some batteries I'll upload some pictures. I saw a few spotted eagle rays, tons of eels, a few turtles, and of course lots of fish ;). The one bad thing was that the boots I brought were worn out on the heels and by day 2 of diving I had a wound on my heels which went down to the muscle. After that I couldn't do more than 2-3 dives a day due to the pain. It was still worth it though and loved every minute of the diving I did do.

Budget Rental
No problems with the truck at all. No one damaging the car because they're mad we didn't leave them any money. Left the windows down and car unlocked again so no problems. Renee from GRI had the car ready for me to go when I got into the airport and checking out went quick after some people trying to rent a car stopped fighting within their group about paying.

Butterfly Farm
The butterfly farm was actually pretty neat. Of course my batteries died after 3 pictures. I think it's definately worth it for those who love butterflies and love taking pictures of them. We have a butterfly farm in our museum by our house so I think we are a little more spoiled. The lady who runs it was very informed and very helpful with answering questions, very nice person. The only bad thing is that it is off in the middle of the island and not easily found if you don't ask someone first. Had Gibi not told us a little more about where to find it, I don't think we would have found it. It's off of a few dirt roads and we thought about turning back as we weren't sure we were going the right way, but you eventually will run into it so don't get scared if you think you are roaming on a road endlessly, just follow the signs. I think with some marketing and better directions this could be a gem for the non-diving day activities.

Food:
We ate several times at The Reef right by the loop and loved the food, which was very reasonably priced. We did Gibi's buffet and that was great as always. We also did Gibi's breakfast each morning with our package deal through GRI, and as always was great. He needs to open a restaurant. We did the Casablanca thing and that was tasty as it was before. We did the Bella vista $10 fish or meat food, which was decent for the money. We did the divi flamingo's italian buffet on the beach which was 10 bucks a person, and that wasn't too bad either. The rest of our meals were things we brought or bought at the grocery store.

Overall was a nice trip, nice to get away from the colds of wisconsin. I'm not sure when I'll be back again, but I'm sure I will be some day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A rose by any other name..aka RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2381) on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like you had a great time, when will you post pictures????
One thing you mentioned has me a little worried, American Eagle going down?? We are booked for August on them from San Juan! They have always said the thing about not having the A/C on while on the runway so that doesn't have me too worried.Last year when we travelled they also had to leave people in San Juan due to weight issues so that's been an ongoing problem during busy season.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By elaine sculley (BonaireTalker - Post #100) on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

that has always been a problem. always take off late & u wind up arriving very late into bon. not worth the trouble. will never take them again in a hundred years. rather spend a little more and take co or dlt.
es

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A rose by any other name..aka RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2383) on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We are travelling free on miles so....I can't complain too much. We have had pretty good luck, used free miles the last two years and have had some minor glitches but it all worked out okay in the end, we made it to Bonaire! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip C (BonaireTalker - Post #48) on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 8:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Shawn,
Great report. Looking forward to photos.
Thanks, Skip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Norton (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 12:29 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

American Eagle is AA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #394) on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:46 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If I recall, both AA and AE are wholly owned by AMR. And that AMR has talked about spinning off AE. But that was in the fall of last year (and the industry is fairly different right now) and I have not heard anything more recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A rose by any other name..aka RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2396) on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ted, AE is technically AA, however they operate under other corporations in some places (AE in the Caribbean is operated by Executive Air).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Johnson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #397) on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 1:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

At the risk of further complicating things, I think Executive Air may also be a subsidiary of AMR...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A rose by any other name..aka RosAnne (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2398) on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

David you are correct, Executive Air is a subsidiary of AMR, different business unit though. Anyway, my point was I hope AE doesn't stop flying from San Juan to Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tribs, Live From Bonaire (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5941) on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Shawn! It was great seeing you!!! Glad to see you got home safely. Say hi to Shara for me!

Lesson learned, don't type before finishing first cup of tea.

(Message edited by jeanineclark on May 28, 2008)

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration