BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Bonaire trip
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2001-05-19 to 2001-11-29: Bonaire trip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jude grebeldinger on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 4:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I stayed with my husband and daughter at Divi Flamingo Bonaire and the diving was good but I would not go back to this resort. The condo was shabby with no room safe and the hotel management refused to lock up our passports in the office safe. The dive boats are poor and the dive shop is not equipped for divers wanting information or classes or anything! Also the divers leave their equipment in crummy room with only nails in the walls to hang up regs. etc. or else lug everything back to your room with nowhere to hang stuff up. Next trip to Bonaire will be to one of the other places we toured on the island that looked fantastic. Divi Falmingo SUCKS. jude

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julia Graves on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 7:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Try Lions Dive,please do not give up on Bonaire. It is better at lots of places. I am so sorry you had a bad time. Banaire is wonderful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan & Joan Zale on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 7:18 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Let us suggest Sand Dollar Condo They have very complete, studio, one, two & three bedroom units. All fully equiped. We like it there som much we bought a two bedroom there several years ago. Don't give up on Bonaire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 7:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Everyone's experiences are so different. I was a guest at The Divi Flamingo and had an amazing oceanfront room that was immaculate and wonderful. The staff were great. I also loved the restaurant. I cannot comment on the dive facility. Hopefully you will get back to Bonaire. Sorry your experience was less than wonderful. Did you have any positives to share?

:)
Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde Lee on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 8:49 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jude, we just got back and stayed at the Sand$. The facility and dive shop are absulutely wonderful. Like everyone said, don't give up on Boniare. It was the best vacation we have ever had, and the best diving we have ever done:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Reem on Monday, September 17, 2001 - 11:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ann,

I gather sometimes travel industry guests do get the best available space and treatment. Only natural but true. Divi has had a reputation for variablility across the property in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 6:23 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

HA! I had to laugh Glen. One would think so, but I have some stories that would make you laugh. At the Brown's Hotel (London) they stuck Mom and I above the kitchen where we heard pots and pans and smelled bacon cooking. Another time I was put in a room (London once again) facing a brick wall. Hmm..come to think of it, it as always in London. I think the Bonaire folks were extra special and it was so appreciated. My room at Habitat was just as nice.

Annie
Cape Cod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 8:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jude, We recently had a group stay at the Divi and they noted a lot of what you stated. On Divi's behalf they are continuing with an extensive renovation wo facilites can be rather inconsistent.. I was amazed when I saw the nails in the gear storage area. If you are looking for a small resort with personal resort I would strongly recommend Lion Dive and their on site Dive operation Bon Bini Divers..For a more traditional operation still with high service and a top notch staff you stiill can't beat Capt Don's Habitat. If you want dive training both of these resorts have very comptenet training programs and if you want a condo approach there is Buddy Dive. For upscale there are the Plaza and Harbor Village. Bottom line there is a lot more to choose from the island then Divi .. if you loved the diving imagine what your experience would have been with an operation more to your liking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 9:18 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jude, We recently had a group stay at the Divi and they noted a lot of what you stated. On Divi's behalf they are continuing with an extensive renovation wo facilites can be rather inconsistent.. I was amazed when I saw the nails in the gear storage area. If you are looking for a small resort with personal resort I would strongly recommend Lion Dive and their on site Dive operation Bon Bini Divers..For a more traditional operation still with high service and a top notch staff you stiill can't beat Capt Don's Habitat. If you want dive training both of these resorts have very comptenet training programs and if you want a condo approach there is Buddy Dive. For upscale there are the Plaza and Harbor Village. Bottom line there is a lot more to choose from the island then Divi .. if you loved the diving imagine what your experience would have been with an operation more to your liking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mary pequinot on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 10:51 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We loved the Lion's Dive, and Bon Bini Divers is wonderful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jude grebeldinger on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 6:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think we've been spoiled by staying at Habitat in Curasco with they're amazing service,boats and crew. The diving there was fantastic as well and we would certainly return.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason on Tuesday, September 18, 2001 - 6:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jude, If that is the service level you are looking for then by all means try Capt Don's Habitat. Jack Chalk, who resides on Bonaire, is responsible for overseeing the boats and crews at both resorts. If anything I think you would find the Bonaire operation even better reflecting the fact hhe spends a greater amount of his time here. As I mentioned earlier you observation of Divi was shared by our Shops April Dive trip to Divi Flamingo....You would not have believed the room the put our owner up for the first night. Again in all understanding.. Divi is in the midst of a major rennovation..and I am sure they will only getter better.. :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karen Marion on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 10:13 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I've stayed at Captain Don's Habitat twice and I would go back in a heartbeat. Wonderful, easy, 24 hour-a-day diving, great people, great service, etc. The new docks (post Lenny) have narrow stairs, but other than that, the facilities are great.

Divi's advantage for this last trip is that they're walking distance to town, and have the Woodwind for Darlene to snorkel from. Our ocean front room was nice, and we liked the pools, the little gift and food shops onsite, friendly staff (but isn't everyone friendly on Bonaire?!?) and the Chibi Chibi restaurant. Disadvantages (for me) included locking my gear up at night so I had less diving freedom, nails to hang gear, no photo shop (many dive resorts offer E6 processing, a bonus if one's a photographer, particularly now that airport security is requiring film to go through x-ray machines). And that the dive boat they were using had no camera table for re-loading and maintenance between dives.

Karen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Gray on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 11:23 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

New to posting, but here goes. We have been to Bonaire twice and stayed at Sand Dollar both times. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful experiences there. We are returning to Bonaire in January and decided to try staying at Belmar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hazel Scharosch on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 2:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Jennifer, we stayed at the Belmar in March. It is beautiful and clean. Be sure to bring the night watchman, Butchie, some ice cream! Have fun.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration