BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: 11 more days but who is counting
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2001-05-19 to 2001-11-29: 11 more days but who is counting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 12:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

and then when I return, I will have a trip report..AM SOOOO EXCITED to snorkel, windsurf and play...Am staying 3 nights at Habitat and 4 nights at Flamingo..any last minute tips..

Annie
Cape Cod Windsurfing Assoc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Krause on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 4:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Go to Playa Benge in the park and snorkel... it was the best spot we found on the island for snorkeling. You have to take the long road but there's plenty of stuff to see on the way. Go early!

Eat at Chibi Chibi... great food and see how many pink flamingoes you can collect!

Hang out at Karels dock in the evening, have a few drinks and watch the sunset.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 4:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I hate to repeat the same line of questions but I had reserved a Toyota Starlet for my car rental but opted for a 2 cab truck so I can do into the park. Is this the best plan? They do not have jeeps at Avis when I am coming apparently. Thanx for the tips..keep em coming..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corney Ann Carter on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 4:57 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Two cab truck is great and I think better than a jeep. Eat at the Mona Lisa. Snorkel at Karparta as there are almost always turtles there. Take a guided snorkel tour on the Woodwind. Of course, have a geat time windsurfing. We won't make it to windsurf there until next March. Corney Ann

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 5:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When I drive to Washington, does it really take 3 hour and which is the most scenic route with snorkeling along the way..

I am also PRAYING for wind..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J Rushman on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 6:54 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

The twin cab truck will be fine. The Toyota Starlet would have been more fun. With the Starlet, you're forced to drive very slowly. Just lower all the windows and crank up the Soca music!

We've never been disappointed with Rendez Vous. Call ahead to order the Keshi Yena.

Try some freshly made pastechis if you can find them. I like the meat pastechis, my wife likes the cheese.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 9:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie...the 2-cab is really good. You have a choice of air conditioning or open windows (no music in the park or you won't see anything close).

You should count on at least 4-5 hours in the park. It takes less than 30 minutes (go early in the morning) to drive to the front entrance. After that, your time is up to you....I would explore the yellow route, then snorkel at any of the sites - my favorite had always been Boca Slaggbai - facing the sea, left side, angle out to dropoff, follow until you are even with a nice bushy tree up on the cliffs, with 5 melocactus attached on the cliff below the tree....head towards the cliffs, then back to the starting point. That is about 30-45 minute snorkel.

Plan on Prisca's ice cream after the park, then on the way out of Rincon, there is a small Chinese snack - just past the statue (bust) on the left, and in my opnion, the best and spicyest lumpias on the island. (spice is a hot sauce and onion)...and an Amstel.

Since your truck will be dirty and dusty already, stop by the Indian Inscriptions and feed the rest of your bread or crackers to the 100s of blue-tail lizards that will greet you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 9:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

OH BOY..all these tips..keep em coming..Can you tell I heavily research each and every trip so when i arrive I know exactly what to do..the ice cream was also recommended by Dara who has given great ideas for the trip as well. I am excited beyond belief. Traveling solo which I love but do hope to meet new friends along the way..4-5 hours in the park..wwowowowow..will have to go on a non windy day..

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 11:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

When you get to the park entrance, make sure you visit the museum. It has a lot of valuable info on what you will find in the park. Also, there is small Excursion Guide of the park. It has a lot of info about the park, the birds, the geology, etc....worth the few guilders it will cost you...

Actually, if you are up the Rincon way before your park day, stop and get the book. It will take a night to read it....and that is the best advice I can give you.

Park tours were my specialty park which took 6 hours and wish I had had 10 hours or more....there's so much to see, do and explore.

Timewise, I probably have spent a couple-a-three months in the park and never grew tired of it and always found something new....always.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 7:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I have a copy of the book Annie can borrow before she goes to the park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 8:26 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cool, Michael..will have to stop by prior when I also come by for some fruit..why don't I just move it..LOL..I know u r on the way to Lac Bay??

is it windy??

Annie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Gassert on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 9:09 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

And, Michael, I'm sure you will donate to the park, yeah? :)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Krause on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 2:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Annie... You will love the park... we spent a whole day there, and it was the highlight of our trip and I know we missed a lot of stuff. Like everyone says, go early, pack a lunch, and make a day out of it. It was fascinating to see the power of the ocean when you stop at places like Boca Chikitu and Kokoloshi on the windward side, and then the calmer waters on the leeward side, where you can dive in and snorkel. In between you will see birds, lizards, iguanas, and such.

Be sure to ask the guide at the park desk to point out the location of Playa Benge as it is not a numbered location on their map. It will be the first spot you can snorkel at on the yellow road. I can not recommend this site enough for snorkeling. It is much different than other Northern sites such as Thousand Steps, Ol' Blue, etc. It is more of a spur and groove system with nooks and crannies to investigate in relatively shallow water. Facing the ocean, we found the right side of this area to be the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael gaynor on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 4:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Third house (#13) on the left after you turn off the coast road. Red Toyota pickup and blue/green pontiac voyager in front. Stop, blow your horn (bonairean door bell) and the dog will bark (my door bell). See ya soon.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration