BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Started In Hell, Stayed Awhile In Heaven, Bored In Limbo
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2005-05-08 to 2005-08-03: Started In Hell, Stayed Awhile In Heaven, Bored In Limbo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic La Polla (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #4) on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 1:09 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Everyone Just returned from 7 nights in Bonaire and 8 nights in Aruba. Ok where do I begin?? 4AM Wednesday Morning American Airlines Mccarren Airport. Boarded 1st plane of 3 This was the beginning of my trip to hell. Almost 20 Hrs later arrive in Bonaire Airport. After waiting over 2 hrs for a rental car person who was supposed to meet us (we were told by reservations we were sooooo important and they would make sure someone would be there to meet us) at an after hours rental car company booked by Sand Dollar that never showed, so needless to say we were very disgusted what a bad way to start a trip. Took a taxi to Sand Dollar where they were supposed to be waiting with open arms for us.(Again since we were soooo important and they wanted to assure that we were taken care of) Yeah right had to wait another 1/2 hour to find a guard to give us our key to the requested best upstairs room, with the best view which is supposed to have central air and the best views in the house. Open the door to our nightmare which took the form of Studio condo F7, the fumes of bug spray and the stench of mildew almost made us gag. The A/C unit was a wall unit that was on it's last leg and it made the room sound like we were sitting on the wing of a jet airplane, so we headed for what we thought was our salvation (our promised best view in the house (Ha Ha) we opened the sliding glass door and WOOOOOW what a view as far as the eye could see bushy trees and a tiny view if you had binoculars of the caribbean. So trying to tell where our tears started and the condensation of the crappy A/C ended, we set out to find our trusty security guard to see what had happened to all these promises that were so eagerly given to us. We were informed by an on premise manager who we had to wake up. She explained that we had no choice but to stay in the room for the night and fix these problems in the morning. Of course they would gladly reimberse our taxi fee's the next day. After a wonderful night in the roach motel we set out to fix these issues. It turns out (according to the car company) they were never informed of our arrival. So they wanted us to pay another taxi to go back to the airport to get our car. We refused so they agreed to pick us up and bring us back to the freakin' airport to get our car. On the way to the airport we had the rental guy bring us to Divi but they were booked up( Turns out to be one of the best things that could have happened to us). We could not understand how all the people on this forum could be wrong especially after communicating with Joan and Alan Zale there was no way they were crazy. Maybe our expectations were just too much!! OK we arrive back at sand dollar ( we were just gonna call around to find another place when Mary at the sand dollar started to show us around. She was very nice and we were happy with her willingness to please. It seems there is some sort of dimensional time warp over there at sand dollar because just as the entrance to hell was named F7 the entrance to HEAVEN was labeled A4. When Mary opened the door to A4 the warm arid breeze and the breathtaking views were the first to grab hold of our senses, next was the decor both inviting and simple which made us feel like we were in our own little beach condo. Finally it was the cheerful and friendly voices of the dive masters having a snack at the dive shop table right below us. Mary pressed a button on an unfamiliar white remote control with a smile and we were engulfed in refreshing cool air which had not compromised the peace and quiet in which we were now in the middle of. We pinched ourselves and realized we were not dreaming it all started to come into focus we had indeed passed through our version of the Pearly Gates!!

We checked in at the dive shop for our orientation and met the ladies (they were sooo sweet and nice) Our guide for orientation was Weitza he was funny and experienced on the history of Bonaire, the reef, the dive spots and the do's and dont's of diving on Bonaire. To get the full picture you have to understand Leslee and I were extremely nervous and apprehensive of diving. We each only had 4-5 dives under our belt
which was in a pool and lake. All our previous dives were done with our instructor holding our hands. When Weitza gave us weights and instructed us to do a giant stride off the dock in the deep blue we were petrified and a little angry that this lacked the hand holding routine we had become used to. We both took the step off the dock and after a little swallowed water and a lot of whining to weitza we descended into our first non guided dive. I remember Weitza saying check for current start your dive into it and which ever side the reef is on going out make sure it is on the other side returning. Even though I was surrounded by beauty everywhere it could not penetrate the focus I had to navigate this dive. Looking at Leslee and taking her hand we started the dive. After about 45 mins at around 40 feet we did our saftey stop and ascended and there was the dock.
I felt a sense of accomplishment getting us back where we started in one piece. Secretly in my head I thanked Weitza for taking away our saftey blanket. I looked over to Leslee and her eyes were lit up like christmas trees. As she smiled it was obvious, she had been bitten by the dive bug! Over the course of the next 6 days we dove and dove and dove and dove!!!! We logged almost 20 dives, one which was the Hilma Hooker where we swam through and sunk our knees in the sand at 98 ft (our favorite dive) We did Alice in Wonderland, Angel City, Numerous Klein dives and our first night dive in which we swam next to a 5ft tarpin which was incredible. The marine life was breathtaking soo many fish soo little time!! Also highly recommended is Jerry's naturalist course. We did that and loved it. Our favorites were Benji, Weitza, Marco and Jerry. We spent a lot of time boat diving with these guys and they were all great. I could go on forever about bonaire but will not. This was truly a life changing experience for leslee and I. We went from complaining, nervous nillies to explorers of the sea, where anything is possible. We booked this trip as Bonaire being a little side excursion to the main trip to Aruba, but let me tell you the diving does not compare, the friendliness of the people do not compare, While in Aruba we were bored to death of the tourists the partying and the nightlife. Give me Bonaire any day and I will be in Heaven.

LESSONS LEARNED: Make sure what you are getting before you go. It would have been a lot less stressfull to do so. I would suggest to book with owners directly I can suggest A4 for a studio and I think it is B9 for the zales for a bigger place I have seen both and they are top notch. Always visit bonaire on the last leg of a trip simply because nothing can compare to it.

Dominic and Leslee
P.S. I gave the Times to Michael for you Alan and he said thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marcus L. Barnes (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #366) on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to the Society of the Bonaire Addicted. Who was the car rental company just out of curiosity?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1512) on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 1:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I am glad you found heaven after your very rough start!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randall J (BonaireTalker - Post #20) on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 3:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad that your trip improved after such a stressful beginning. Thanks for the report.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole B. (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5083) on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 6:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Glad it turned out so well for you both. I can't imagine having to stay on ARuba for a week after Bonaire....what a come-down. Believe it or not, Aruba had NO nightlife at one time not that long ago....they have completely destroyed the place in my eyes. We stopped going there in the nineties and will never return. If folks want beach chair to beach chair lined up along the sand and tons of drunken partying youngsters and traffic up the wazoo, then Aruba is for you...along with Cancun, and a few other "hot spots". We "discovered" Bonaire years ago and will continue to return forever.

I know Michael's eyes lit up when he saw you coming with the NY Times! That was very kind of you. That paper will be shared by many folks on Bonaire, you can be assured of that.

Welcome to the world of Bonaire addicts! The only "cure" is to book your return trip...and quickly!! Ayo. Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #13879) on Thursday, July 7, 2005 - 11:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dominic, I assume you now have PBD? (Post Bonaire Depression)...or maybe you had it while you were in Aruba? I agree with Marcus...welcome to the Society of Bonaire Addicts...it will haunt you forever!

We live on the Southern coast of California...it usually takes 26 hours to get to Bonaire, and it's worth every travel moment!

We stayed at the Zale's condo our first trip to Bonaire in 2001 and loved the place :-) Bari reef is one of my favorites on the island. I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself (after the first night of very disappointing events)...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic La Polla (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #5) on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 1:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

The car company was national/alamo booked through the reservation place for sand dollar in florida

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Knobler (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 4:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Is the NY Times that much in need in Bonaire? I am very excited to make my first visit to Bonaire during the first week of August and would be happy to bring a copy or two of the times if people want it. I am coming from NYC and the local version is much better/thicker than the versions you get elsewhere (the Sunday times especially).

Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John"Smack"Anderson (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #777) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 5:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, Micheal Gaynor at Chat n Browse is originally from NY and he WILL light up when he sees anyone approach with a copy of the times, especially the Sunday edition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Knobler (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #8) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:48 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

sounds good John. I will be sure to bring him a copy. I hope it will not be too dated (a few days late) for him. I have read about the Chat n Browse...but where is it exactly? I am staying at the Divi. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Stanfield (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #10) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dominic,
Glad you have become a Bonaire fan. Your report reminds me of when I convinced my wife to go to Bonaire to see the total eclipse of the sun(she is a science teacher) in 1998 and maybe do a dive or two. 27 trips to Bonaire and hundreds of dives later we still have the wonderment of new divers every time we get in the Bonaire waters. Hope you make it back to explore more of the dive sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1083) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 6:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Scott, Chat n Browse is north of town, in the little plaza on the left immediately after the traffic circle -- next to Sand Dollar Grocery and Lover's Ice Cream, and just before you get to Sand Dollar itself.

Tell Michael Josie said HI, and the kitties are wonderful!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Gould (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #166) on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 8:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Chat n Browse is next door to Lovers Ice cream. Ron

(Message edited by ronindiana on July 10, 2005)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mermaid (BonaireTalker - Post #46) on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 8:33 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Dominic,

I laughed so hard at your description of the "Hell" part of your trip I nearly fell off my chair. Although I wouldn't wish a trip disaster on anyone, they can certainly make entertaining reading. So glad you had a great time after getting everything sorted out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iris Rivera (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #7) on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I'm from New York City. Going to Bonaire for the very fist time (my boyfriend and I are so excited). Who needs the NY Times? We can accommodate :o). Since this is our first time, where should we start diving? (I'm a novice)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Linda Stoltzfus (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #615) on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 1:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Iris,
Michael at "Chat-n-Browse" loves receiving a NY Times, especially the Sunday edition. His store is located north of downtown just past the roundabout (Traffic Circle).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Tominator (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2303) on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 1:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Michael also likes Folger's (red), no really!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By seb (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2363) on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 9:27 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Iris, there is no shame in diving in your own backyard. If you are staying at a resort with a dock make repeated use of it. Everything underwater is wonderful and new to you, and it's important to simply practice your skills. I take off by bcd with ease underwater to practice my skills, and it's pretty fun to do as well. When I had to do it the other day to adjust my tank it was easy. You, too, can learn to straddle your tank.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration