BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Trip report Dec 3rd -10th
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2003-04-01 to 2004-02-05: Trip report Dec 3rd -10th
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By janet white (BonaireTalker - Post #12) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 3:05 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Back to Bonaire - this was our second trip. My hubby and I stayed at Yatch Club Apartments - economy accomodations but adequate. My advise would be to get the studio instead of the one bedroom. The AC in the bedroom can't cool the whole place and with no screens and the mosiqitos it can be HOT. Truthfully - I wouldn't stay there again.

It was a mix of clouds and sun - and some rain showers off and on. Still beautiful.

The shore diving is AWESOME. It is why we return. Easy access, easy to locate dive sites, reefs are close and the ease of getting air is EXCELLENT. We had an unlimited air package from Wanna Dive and they were great. Just load your truck with tanks - dive and load with more tanks.

All the dives we did were good. Karpata, Alice in wonderland, Bopec, Andrea II, Hilma Hooker, and the lake were excellent. Buddy dive and the invisibles - my least favorite but still okay. Visiblity was not as good this trip (guess cause of all the rain) but Bonaire is still a divers paradise!

Food was good. Casablanca one of my favorites and De Tuin a close 2nd (thanks to BT - we found De Tuin and were NOT disappointed) Pasta Bon Pizza was good but we should have skipped the Rib Factory and KFC! Rib Factory had lousy service and less than average food! Peking was very good. We were the only tourist there and the language barrier reminded me of the scene from "Christmas Story" where they go to the chinese diner for Christmas dinner. Subway is an excellent choice especially to take on a picnic to explore the island.

We did spend part of one day exploring Rincon and managed to get ourselves STUCK. After a 30 minute walk in the desert (where I thought I was going to die) we found someone to help us get out.
You have to LOVE adventures!

We also went to Sorbon beach. This is the most relaxing and serene place on the island. And you don't have to worry about what to wear! We snorkeled there and saw some incredible fish.

It was another wonderful trip to Bonaire. We are thinking about an extended stay next time (you really need more than a week) and maybe we will go in the summer instead of the rainy season.

Thank you all who post - you helped us with dive sites, dinner plans and gave us some great tips which enhanced our trip to Bonaire!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By v.cioffletti (BonaireTalker - Post #15) on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 1:17 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

We were there some of the same times.....I had nothing to compare the water visibility with so am even happier to know it can be better as I thought it was already pretty darned good!

I completely agree with your assessment of how helpful this group board is! I and my friend found it VERY helpful for planning our trip. I will definitely go back again!

I am curious...I guess I could post this as a separate topic (and will if I do not get a reasonable number of responses) - what do people think of the safety of a woman going to Bonaire alone? I was with a girlfriend. I thought it seemed to be a fairly safe place (and I am an originally paranoid New Yorker LOL!) even in the evenings. We stayed at the Divi and that seemed quite secure IMHO. I felt comfortable going out in evening for a stroll, we went downtown/ate dinner later at night along the waterfront strip between Divi and downtown. My druthers would certainly be to go with a friend for snorkeling/water safety alone. But if I couldn't get someone to go with me, I would definitely consider going alone.

Ginni

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #861) on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 1:56 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginni, I've spent a vacation alone on Bonaire, as well as staying on longer after my husband leaves. We leave tomorrow and he stays 3 weeks, with me an additional 2 alone.

I've never had a moment's concern being there alone. I stay at Bonaire Town Homes which is about 1 mile from the water, in a quiet residential area, and feel perfectly safe. The people who run the two rental units there live next door and "watch over me" also!!

I wander all over by myself --- if you can go, just do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kay Powers (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #732) on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 3:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginni,

I traveled there alone before and would do it again in a heartbeat!! I had a blast! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #913) on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 4:39 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

I just got back from staying with my friend Joann in Bonaire. We were walking back to the Divi from town one night at 10:30 PM along the promanade and we made the comment, "What other island could you go to and feel so safe to walk alone at night!!" Bonaire is the only island I would consider to travel alone to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By v.cioffletti (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 6:32 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Nice to know so many of you women think it is a safe place to stay alone. I did, like I said, get that feel for it. The only other reason(s) I would prefer to have a traveling companion is to have a snorkel buddy (which I think is a smart thing to do if you are going to venture to other snorkel sites on the island not knowing there will be people there to help you if you got into a jam or not) and also to share the cost of accommodations, thus keeping the vacation cost down! Plus, it would give me someone to laugh with over some of the stuff........my friend and I did lots of laughing which IMHO is great medicine and I sure needed it by the time I got to Bonaire what with work and other stuff going on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gail Thomas (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #121) on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 9:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

v. The only problems I've encountered in 4 visits is not with the 2 legged individuals, but with the 4 legged creatures. The dogs roaming free made me feel very insecure. Whenever I ventured out to walk alone, there were always plenty of free roaming barking creatures that made me feel very unsettled. We tend to treat our dogs here as a family member, and as such, they're never outdoors unattended. The only times on Bonaire when I felt threatened, was when I encountered a pack of dogs while walking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By v.cioffletti (BonaireTalker - Post #17) on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 9:13 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

That is interesting Gail.....I live with 6 of my own dogs (yes, I'm crazy but hey...)and so it does also bother me a LOT when I see dogs that seem to be strays or (more is the case, I think, on Bonaire) someone's "pet" roaming around freely in the streets, obviously not spayed or neutered (the former is said as there are so many females walking around who have obviously had puppies from their teats hanging to their knees)and that drives me crazy, whether in America or Bonaire or wherever. It is obviously a cultural thing.

However I have not seen a pack of dogs, or what I would think I would call a pack of dogs, in Bonaire, but then I have only the one week trip in, so far!

If you REALLY want to see packs of dogs go to Puerto Rico. I love the island for many things, but NOT for that. It is absolutely pitiful and sinful IMHO. At least Bonaire and Aruba (not been to Curacao) seem to make a good effort with their collection boxes for animal sanctuary in many places and in full view. I also bought some T shirts for dog friends with scuba/snorkel dogs on front of it, and the name of the Bonaire Animal Sanctuary on back, with proceeds going to latter. (Carib Inn, I believe, was where I bought them.)

One time I was in PR (my daughter and family were living there) she and I took a day trip to a out of the way spectacular coved beach west of San Juan. There was a resident pack of dogs there, and the face of one still haunts me. I came THIS close to taking her home with me but realized one of my other dogs (also a female) would probably try to murder her and I would have to find her another home and........argh......but, to this day, two years later I can see her little face. May God forgive me somehow.

Ginni

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Betty Wills (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #6) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 1:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ginni - I recently purchased a condo at the Sand Dollar where they have security at night, and spent the last two months on my own in Bonaire. I love the island, and all the new friends I've made, and have no reservations at all about being on the island alone. I also feel pretty safe traveling around town at night, but my instincts still lean on the cautious side. I keep a watchful eye on things, and make it a point to stay away from dark alleys after midnight. Just a habit, I guess.

Betty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #915) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 5:30 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

See my post about Renee's guided snorkels. It's great when you are their on your own.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration