BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Photos from 8/23 - 8/30
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2003-04-01 to 2004-02-05: Photos from 8/23 - 8/30
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Oberlander (BonaireTalker - Post #35) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 6:41 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Just back from a great week at Capt Don's. There's not much new that hasn't been written about before but I just thought I would share some of my digital photos. I recommend the Habitat 100%

Enjoy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #8412) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 7:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, thanks for sharing. Great pics:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #849) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 8:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Incredible photos!!! Thanks for sharing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2897) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 8:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow! Thank-you for posting! The water looks beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2549) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 9:14 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Absolutely fabulous shots, Larry.....once again! Perfection. We're ready for more, as you should know by now! If you have the time, we would love to enjoy some more of your great work. Just breathtaking. Thanks again, Carole (Shutterbug)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe brannan (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Tuesday, September 2, 2003 - 11:38 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Outrageous.....can't wait till trip two in January. What's the fish between the seahorse and the flaming tongue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Oberlander (BonaireTalker - Post #36) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 12:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

That's a Smooth Trunkfish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Lube (BonaireTalker - Post #16) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 8:12 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great Photos, I can't wait to dive in, 16 more days......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Belinda Z (BonaireTalker - Post #41) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 9:10 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

More please :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Lloyd (BonaireTalker - Post #39) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 9:45 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks so much for posting pictures that look like what mine are supposed to look like, but when I get the film back, they never do.

Great pictures. Great enjoyment for us. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Wansley (BonaireTalker - Post #52) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 9:59 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, I noticed that you used the olympus c-5050 for your photos. I've been contemplating this as my next step into digital photography. It looks like it has some real underwater potential. Can you recommend this camera? Any real dislikes about your setup? Did you use a strobe? If so what kind?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Oberlander (BonaireTalker - Post #37) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 10:22 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Philip,
Here is a link to my report on the Olympus C5050.

Olympus C5050 Report

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Wansley (BonaireTalker - Post #53) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 6:37 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Larry, good report. Can you comment further on the shutter lag/autofocus relationship. Is it more of a nusiance or do you consider it a major drawback. Or is it something that you can anticipate and get used to. Shutter lag has always been an issue of concern with me (we all know you can't make those fish pose)and therefore contributed to my reluctance to purchase a digital camera. I know that Nikon has this resolved on the D-100, but I'm not willing to invest that kind of money.

Thanks for any feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Angela Strozier (BonaireTalker - Post #51) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 9:07 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Phillip,

I am just curious what kind of camera you use now, I assume it is not digi? We are looking at purchasing one but I wondered the same about digi re: lag and all...?

Thanks.

Angela

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Oberlander (BonaireTalker - Post #38) on Wednesday, September 3, 2003 - 10:53 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Philip,
Underwater photography has always been an exercise in compromise. There is no system that is perfect in every situation. The Olympus is a great camera that is capable of capturing outstanding images if you work within it's limits.

That said, some have been able to work around the AF/SL problem by using a wide-angle lens and manually focusing. There are others that have a lot more experience than I working with this system. Take a look at this site, it has a lot of good info.

splashdown divers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Wansley (BonaireTalker - Post #54) on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 12:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wooohoooo!! Thanks Larry!! That site really does have a lot of information.

Angela - right now I'm using a Sea and Sea MX-10, with a 20mm wide angle lens (most of the time), and a YS-40A optical strobe. A pretty good setup for a beginning u/w photographer (me), but still a few drawbacks with backscatter and depth of field. I've taken some photos with this setup that really turned out wonderful, but I've also got a drawer full of missed opportunities. The fixed focal length of the MX-10 is more difficult for me personally, resulting in a lot of 'hit-or-miss' so I'm looking to improve my stash of "keepers" by going digital with the help of the autofocus feature. The MX-10 is a pretty good topside camera too, so consider that when making your decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Renea (BonaireTalker - Post #82) on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 8:51 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, these are some awesome pictures! Brings back memories!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kathryn Hall (BonaireTalker - Post #18) on Thursday, September 4, 2003 - 9:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

A question-
As first timers, we don't have ANY equipment, but I am a photo buff and MUST have some underwater pics on my first dive ever. Can you rent cameras on the island to use on dives or snorkeling, and are they easy to use? I don't want to end up with crappy pictures and have spent a fortune renting some piece of junk. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By spongebob (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1139) on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 3:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

flirt with someone who has a camera;)

hire a photographer/dive guide (more expensive;))

i think you might need a lot of luck with available rentals and being a new diver - i would guess otherwise you would need to invest at least $1200.00 to make it idiot proof;) (5Mpixel in an underwater housing)

;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Feldman (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #628) on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 9:43 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I think almost all the dive resorts have photo shops where you can rent a camera, or purchase a disposable underwater camera. Judging by what I've seen at Habitat, they don't rent "junk" - you can get everything from point-and-shoot on up.

The quality of the photos you get depends on you, and as a first and admittedly somewhat fearful diver, I wouldn't count on artwork suitable for framing. :-)

Still, any photos you get will serve to remind you of your experience, and you will be able to look back at them fondly (and with the urge to come back and get better ones, next time!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2911) on Friday, September 5, 2003 - 10:11 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

If you can rent a digital, you will get many more good shots. The LCD screen to frame make all the difference in the world. You can also check to see if you actually got the shot. UW is much tougher than above water, you have a much higher probability to miss the focus, framing or lighting. The other important advice is get close then get closer, you want the least water between you and your subject. If that moray is not ready to eat your camera your to far.

Also try to shoot up or even with your subject not down. Straight down shots while showing your subject are very flat and lack depth. Once again the digital is better for this also, you can hold it at arms length down in the coral to get the best angle and still see the screen for framing. This also means the moray may get a couple of fingers but this is better than getting a nose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Barber (BonaireTalker - Post #65) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 2:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, Very nice photos indeed! We just made the step to a C5050. Haven't had a chance to get it wet yet. I hope my shots look 1/10th as good as yours! Did you use an external strob UW?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Barber (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 2:17 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Of course all strobs are external. How about a strobe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Barber (BonaireTalker - Post #67) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 2:22 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Larry, never mind! I read your C5050 review and saw it was a L&M strobe... Fine work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Barber (BonaireTalker - Post #68) on Thursday, September 11, 2003 - 2:25 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, now I see it was an article about using the INTERAL strobe! Ok we've got it now!

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration