BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: "DONKEY" Diva Divers Trip Report Part II
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2003-04-01 to 2004-02-05: "DONKEY" Diva Divers Trip Report Part II
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7737) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 4:40 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, I forgot the "Donkey" in the first part of the trip report...oops!

Fun Stuff

Kelly: Jake and Linda have this “thing” that looks like a racquetball racket, but it’s a battery operated bug zapper. It was the coolest thing ever! I loved zapping the mosquitoes and flies! I want one. (the small things amuse me). Cynde: Kelly is really easily amused….seriously, I don’t know if you can get that thing on the island, but I want one for November! When Kelly arrived it was the first thing I showed her. It has a little button that you hold down when you get the bug and you can watch it fry! I fried one, then told her “you can’t touch it when it is on, but once you release the button it is OK..NOT!” I touched it and got zapped! Ouch!

We had fun putting strange things on the gate in front of the house, and letting people guess what they were. The “large, hissing rat” was my favorite. I had to forego some clothes to pack it ! It was also dubbed the party rat at the BBQ Tues. night.

At the airport in San Juan, I was making my way to the gate, and heard a “Kellllly!”. It was none other than Cheryl B. and her husband Airey from Texas. I sat with them waiting for the flight, and it was like we’d known each other forever, such fun! I did a dive with them, and James and Kathi McPeak from Pennsylvania at Small Wall on Wednesday. We also did a dive with just Kathi the next day at Kalabas Reef in front of the Dive Inn.

We had dinner one night with the four of them at Casablanca. The food was great and the company was great. Afterward, we went to Jim and Kathi’s place at the Dive Inn and had a few drinks, and were extremely entertained by Jim’s Famous Donkey Call. “They’ll come”, he said. And he was right. They did! It was hilarious.

Jim, Airey, Cheryl, Kathi and Kelly
Casablanca.jpg

Funniest story of the trip. Cynde and I were doing a dive at Buddy’s, and were kind of doing a float/snorkel out to where we were descending. We’re just floating in the water, talking, and Cynde says, “I’m having a terrible pain in the middle of my chest; do you think I’m having a heart attack”? Did you get that everyone?? Does KELLY think that CYNDE is having a heart attack? Well, I ask you -- how in the heck would I know if she is having a heart attack?? I couldn’t help it, I started laughing and said, “well I don’t know CYNDE, do YOU think you are having a heart attack? Good Lord!” She just said, well no, probably just heartburn or something… and descended…. So I descended too and we did the dive. You can imagine my relief that it was “just heartburn or something”. God love her. It became the phrase-of-the-trip ~~ Hey Cynde, do you think I’m having a heart attack??? Okay you truly had to be there, but it was so darn funny, I am laughing now as I type this!

Cynde: I’m laughing now too…I have GERD and a hiatal hernia, and sometimes the heartburn gets a little rough…it was pretty funny…I really think I should stop downloading and analyzing the DAN Annual Fatality Report though!

Things I learned about Cynde ~~

She likes to eat like I do, she likes to sleep in like I do, she adores her husband, has a great sense of humor and adventure, and she’s lots of fun. Almost every night when we got into bed, exhausted, we would start talking and giggling like college roommates. It was a 9 day slumber party! What did she learn about me? We’ll leave that to her to explain… lol… but will probably involve Pepsi and taffy for breakfast….

Okay, this is important. When Cynde gets testy, you MUST either feed her, put her in the water, or give her a glass of wine. And if you feed her, put her in the water, and THEN give her a glass of wine, she is really a happy Cynde.

Most importantly, I learned that with a sense of adventure, and an open mind, anything is possible. I learned a lot about myself in this process, and for that I thank you Cynde. You are awesome! I love ya!!

Things I learned about Kelly:

She is a giver. She is a sweetheart and a true friend who you can count on. She likes to eat for god’s sake! Woohooo! She liked me to scratch her back a lot, which of course I made her scratch mine too…we are pathetic without our men. She loves John very much, and he loves her tooJ She is up for “anything, anytime.” The only 2 decisions we had to make were where to dive, and where to eat!

Funniest story about Kelly? I have two…First story: Long about day 2…she says that she needs to go to the store to get a toothbrush, because she forgot hers…we head to the art festival, and after the amstels, store closed…oops! On Monday, we went to the Tropicana to shop for the BBQ, and a toothbrush….I found them…but you had to buy 12! Like what was she going to do with 12 toothbrushes???? It was like the Gods didn’t want her to brush her teeth, I swear! This is not an episode of SURVIVOR!

We laughed, and put everything back and ended up going to Cultimara cause I couldn’t find the Warehouse…bought our party supplies and as we were driving back to the house we realized that we had forgotten to get the toothbrush! OK, maybe this is Survivor for Kelly!
kellytoothbrush.jpg

Story 2: Kelly has this great dive skin from Dive Goddess that is bright blue and has fish all over it. It was really cool, and very easy to spot her underwater. On the one boat dive we did to Klein, she was gearing up and the gentleman next to her complimented the dive skin. Then his lady friend next to him looked at her…up and down (you know, giving her the once over) and said “Just what exactly is that FOR?”

Extras: We took a drive up North during a surface interval. Checked out the ladder at oil slick leap…
oil slick.jpg

We found this spot just north of oil slick, along the walking path that was kind of cool…blow hole…
blow hole.jpg
blow hole1.jpg

The sun was setting…
kellysunset.jpg

Unfortunately, we were either diving, or out during most of the sunsets. With hurricane Claudette, we had a lot of cloud cover most days. Here is a good one that I caught the tail end of…
redsunset.jpg

Since I lost 3 of my 4 rolls of film, I don’t have many of my underwater pics to post…so here are a few fairly good ones…

OK, this coral kind of looks like a bum to meJ
/image{coralxmastree.jpg}

/image{cowfish.jpg}

Notice the juve filefish in the upper right corner. They were everywhere!
/image{cupcoral.jpg}

/image{frenchangel.jpg}

/image{grunt.jpg}

/image{rockbeauty.jpg}

/image{sarge.jpg}

Ok, I saw this coral “rubble” and can you figure out what the shape looks like?
/image{sh.jpg}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7738) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 4:43 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oops! slashed the wrong way!

OK, this coral kind of looks like a bum to meJ
coralxmastree.jpg

cowfish.jpg

Notice the juve filefish in the upper right corner. They were everywhere!
cupcoral.jpg

frenchangel.jpg

grunt.jpg

rockbeauty.jpg

sarge.jpg

Ok, I saw this coral “rubble” and can you figure out what the shape looks like?
sh.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By spongebob (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1057) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 5:48 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

i hold off making any "cracks" about the pics for now;)

nice job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7743) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 5:58 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks sponge...I just showed it to a coworker and we both laughed so hard we cried!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sarah (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1932) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 7:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde & Kelly:

That was a really GREAT trip report. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Well done girls... :-)

Sarah
xx
ps: nice bum coral!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eileen Kimmett (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2372) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 8:21 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great Trip Report! I loved reading it! I like the bum coral! :-) Thank-you for posting it!:-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James & Margarite Hix (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1888) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 8:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Yep! I confirm the Bum Coral ID. You both had way too much fun! Can't wait til my next trip......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7752) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 8:46 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks gang:-) "Bum Coral" a new species discovered on Bonaire...Gee, I hope I get credit...but it is kind of ironic...it is "brain" coral shaped like a "bum." Hmmm....think of the possibilities!

The one thing that we didn't get to do was kayak through the mangroves and go for the cave snorkel. Buddies wasn't offering either one of these on our no dive day, Saturday...but hey, there is always November!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lorraine Bayford (BonaireTalker - Post #44) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 3:21 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, Great trip report!! Sounds like a lot of fun. You made me smile at your stories. If you want a bug zapper, send me you address via e-mail(see my profile) and I'll put one in the mail. They are a very common item here as our mosquitos are as big a birds. A few people complained about the mosquitos in Bonaire but I didn't see them. Is the November trip with the guys or Kelly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karin van Veen (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #209) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 3:57 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Cynde and Kelly for your trip report! Loved to read it, especially since I've watched some of your "adventures" on the cams. You where both very entertaining! Made me really jealous at some times,....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Maria Petrovic (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1005) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 5:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde and Kelly, Very nice trip report,very entertaining, and lovely pictures.(Sounds like you both had a great time. (Thanks for sharing)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martine TLOUZEAU - Jean Paul GODARD (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1981) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 6:15 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, Kelly, definitely great job, great fun, great memories, great holidays.
Very beautiful trip report, gals, I truly enjoyed reading. It also reminds me I have to do mine too...
Congrats !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Igor van Riel (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1739) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 7:03 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thank u Cynde :-)
Thank u Kelly :-)
Great stories! Fun reading and PBD is severe now :-(
I'm NOT jealous... :-)
The next time we will be there, I'll try 2 find some Bum Coral. wink

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Diana van den Wollenberg (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #490) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 9:47 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoyed reading the trip report. It makes me smile and I could imagine all the fun you 2 had!
And you kept us entertained with the cam adventures!
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #810) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 10:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Awesome report!!!! You sure do know how to have fun!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara Leary (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2264) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 11:19 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Finally got to part 2! The whole report was wonderful...really liked the way you took turns describing events and impressions! It is so cool how you two got to know each other better...
very funny bum of Bon....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #2477) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 1:29 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great stuff, ladies! Thanks ever so much for sharing your trip and photos with all of us. I knew there would be no way you guys would "not" get along famously! It really does sound like a sorority party for nine days, too! LOL. I feel younger just reading your trip reports! Thanks again...Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greta Badstebner (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #199) on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 6:12 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great trip report! (I still have to finish mine.) Luv the pics! I know you gals had a great time! Just wish I could have been there! We may just have to plan an all girls trip sometime and meet each other. I think we'd have a blast! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #315) on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 4:07 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great report, how about part III?

47 days and counting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Faith M. Senie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #386) on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 8:32 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde, Kelly, in a way, I think I'm glad that Dan and I couldn't make it to Bonaire that week to house-sit for Jake and Linda -- sounds like the two of you had way more fun together than we would have! We would have been "Dan and Faith housesitting", you two were BT history! :-)

And I LOVE the "bum" coral -- that's priceless! Especially with the... um, shall we say strategically placed christmas tree worm? :-)

And I agree that tennis racket thing is cool -- we picked one up after we first saw the one Jake has. Mosquitoes smoke really well... :-) And yeah, definitely do NOT touch it on the metal "string" part! yowch!

Faith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7755) on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 3:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks everyone for your nice words. It really was a 9 day slumber party. Jake and Linda had set it up so one of us could sleep in their room, and one in Bas' room. We slept in Jake and Linda's room, and used Bas' room as our luggage hang out. It really was like a 9 day slumber party. Our last night (Saturday night) when the Richter's were back in their OWN bed, we slept in Bas...Jake was like, it's kind of small, we were like, hey we have it down...and keep to our own sides! LOL! Anyway, we turned out the light and whispered and giggled for about a half an hour, then decided we better get to sleep as we had to get up in 4 hours to get to the airport...all was silent then either she or I would whisper something and then we would both start giggling again...sure was a lot of fun!

Brian, Part III will be Labor Day. Ms. Kelly is coming out to Southern California to spend the weekend with Michael and I to dive and eat...our 2 favorite things!

Faith, thanks for not being upset we took your "spot!" I think that Kelly needs to get a holster for her bug zapper! Yes, nicely placed christmas tree worm! LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #459) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 8:31 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, reading that again is giving me major PBD. That was such an incredible trip.

When we got to the airport in San Juan, we were walking and talking, and then we both realized that I had to go one way, and she had to go another. Her plane was about to start boarding, so we didn't even have any "extra" time for chatting. When we both realized that "this is it", of course I started bawling like a baby! So did Cynde! I know we will have other trips together (September and November to be exact), but the trip to Bonaire can never be re-created. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. The trip was even more fun than it sounds in the report! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2775) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 9:52 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, ladies I don't know what to say. Faith called this one BT history, very appropriate. Better than great report and pictures.

I do have one complaint about the pictures. In the first section you showed a beer on the railing at Chibi Chibi's. You were allowing that beer to get warm just so you could get a picture. Have you no shame, this is right up there with inflating puffers for pictures. I'm sure there's some organization that would frown on this behaviour.

Glad you enjoyed the Lost Penguin, Renada and Ton are great at their jobs.

All right Cynde you'd better have a digital for the September trip or else. Not sure about the else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #460) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 9:54 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, have no fear my friend, as soon as the picture was taken, I downed it like a shot of tequila. It was only up on the ledge for a fraction of a second, I promise.

September will be fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2776) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 1:00 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

We could do a statistical study to determine the mean time from opening to being drunk (the bottle not the recipient), determine the mean, set some spec's and start tracking some sigma numbers. From this we could ascertain rather this particular beer was abused or not.

And you people wonder why the government is so expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7781) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 1:31 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil, you are cracking me up..."We could do a statistical study to determine the mean time from opening to being drunk (the bottle not the recipient)" I think for it to be statistically correct, it would be good to have the mean time from opening to being drunk (recipient)...LOL! I feel a "Citizen's Arrest" coming on...Kelly, maybe I better post the pic of you with your hand on the abused bottle...I didn't post that pic...but then folks might think that you were really abusive by holding onto it with your claw like hand...and torturing it rather than drinking it quickly...may be more evidence we need to destroy...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Berry (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #2777) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 1:45 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

You are correct Cynde, it read "(the bottle not the recipient), determine the mean, ". It should have read "(the bottle not the recipient), determine the one sigma,".

The even funnier thing to me is that you'all think I jest, NOT. It's what I do all day, if it can be measured the above procedure works, and the things that can be measured would surprise you.

Back to the original charge, even if you did not abuse the beer, you certainaly abused your liver. I'm sure there another group (other than AA) that would be offended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #316) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 1:52 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cecil

I am very worried that when I get back to BON Brights might be rationed while stocks are replenished.

Whats better than a Bright - 2 Brights!!!!

PBD can also be Post (or Pre) Bright Depression

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #461) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 2:26 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Did I mention Happy Hour? The waiter brought the beer that I ordered, and literally kept sitting them on the table... I'm like, "huhh???" And he said, "oh yes, it's happy hour, buy one get one free." Well, by all means, keep bringing them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kelly Lott (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #462) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 2:27 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Brights are on sale! Yipppee!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bosun Bright Beer Police Dog (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #1) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 3:06 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Kelly Lott and Cynde Lee it has been brought to my attention by Cecil Berry that you have committed the heinous and uncivilised crime of cruelty to Amstel Brights. In that you cruelly and deliberately left them unattended in a warm room and did not allow the desalinated Caribbean water to achieve its magical satisfaction with its drinker.

How do you both so plead?

Bosun the Bright Police Hound

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7785) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 3:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Bosun the Bright Police Hound,

I am completely innocent. I just took the picture...now, thank goodness there is no time lapse on these...Here is Kelly with more evidence...
cam.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bosun Bright Beer Police Dog (New BonaireTalk Poster - Post #2) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 4:15 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Gruff - I can see the frost on the bottle this time (as it SHOULD be), just to let you know you are still under a special Bosun the Bright Police Hound inspection.

Methinks this time a Bosun the Bright Police Hound caution should suffice.

Next time please ensure at all times the happiness and chilledness of your Brights.

Other than that a Good trip report Divas!

Bosun the Bright Police Hound

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cheryl B (BonaireTalker - Post #66) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 8:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

FABULOUS report, divas!

quote:

Okay, this is important. When Cynde gets testy, you MUST either feed her, put her in the water, or give her a glass of wine. And if you feed her, put her in the water, and THEN give her a glass of wine, she is really a happy Cynde.

ROTFLMAO!! I am SOOOO there!

It was WONDERFUL to meet you divas! We will have to get together again! Our SoCal trip is still scheduled for mid-Sept, so we'll miss the Labor day fun. :-( But we are looking forward to meeting up with Cynde and hubby when we do make it out. :-)

You ladies have inspired me, I'm working on the pics for our report. Could take a while - they didn't come out too well. Oh well, another reason to go back to Bonaire - to try again with the pics! And we're going digital too! C5050, here we come!
Cheryl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cynde (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #7796) on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 9:16 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cheryl, I about died laughing when I read that (Kelly's quote). I immediately emailed it to Michael and said "boy, does she have me pegged or what???" LOL! He had to agree! I wish you could be here for the Labor Day fun too! Just give me a heads up as to when you will be here, and if you want to dive I can set something up:-) We can eat, get wet, and have wogga, then we will be happy!

I need to check out the C5050. Is that the one that Christine bought? Maybe that will be my birthday request:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Annette Bursey (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #6297) on Saturday, August 9, 2003 - 9:24 am:     Edit PostPrint Post

Cynde and Kelly. A little late catching up here as I have not long been home from my hols. I enjoyed reading your report, and I love the way you incorporated the pictures too. It was so much fun seeing you on the cams, I couldn't stop laughing at your antics. Look forward to seeing you there again in November. Annie B.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration