BonaireTalk Discussion Group
Trip Reports: Josie and Alan's trip report begins...
Bonaire Talk: Trip Reports: Archives: Archives 2000 to 2005: Archives - 2002-09-26 to 2003-03-31: Josie and Alan's trip report begins...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #746) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 2:42 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

As I'll be here for six weeks, I KNOW I won't remember much to report, so it's going to come bit by bit:

Uneventful, but long, trip down: January 29 Roch-ATL-SJ-BON. I do wish there was a better way for us to get here... Met by the smiling face of Benny from Bonaire Town Homes, who insisted on meeting us even though we weren't staying with him our first week. Easy car pick up at Everts -- got a Suzuki CarryVan this trip, and LOVE it. Then to Pasa Bon Pizza for our first meal on Bonaire --- Thanks guys for still serving so late. GREAT wahoo pizza!! Definitely on our list to return to. Then up to Deep Blue View Bed and Breakfast for our first week --- which we were lucky enough to WIN in last year's Jong Bonaire Sweepstakes. Doesn't get much better than that.

DBV was lovely, quiet location, great pool, nice breakfasts, friendly hosts, beautiful view. We hardly left for the whole week, except to go out to eat. Only one snorkel, just really vegged out. That was our plan, and we kept to it.

Then on Wednesday, we headed down the hill to Nikkiboko to Bonaire Town Homes, our home-away-from-home on Bonaire. Get easily settled into the two bedroom unit, and hung out in the hammocks for a while, just to get back into the swing of things. We're very comfortable here --- and I especially appreciate being able to use Benny's computer to get online to do trip reports, etc. Thanks Benny!!

Restaurants: Some new ones -- We've especially enjoyed The Lost Penguin, which is where the Dome used to be, just around the corner from where the Kaya Grandi one-way ends, across from M&C bank: just opened, and should be a winner. To date, we've had three meals there, between us, the catch of the day (with a lovely pesto sauce) twice, pasta with smoked salmon, ribs (mmmm...mmm) and a wonderful nacho platter yesterday, and freshly made mushroom soup -- DEElicious.

Nice meal at Mango's at the Sand Dollar, although Alan said the Penguin's fish was better.

Old favorite: Gibi's --- we ate there once alone (goat stew and garlic shrimp both excellent), and then the BT dinner on Tuesday: super rainbow runner, we both couldn't resist that and it was a treat.

I had breakfast this morning at Lion's Den, after I dropped Alan off for his resort course with BonBini. The breakfast was a disappointment: I guess I resent paying $10 for a mediocre "English breakfast", especially when the promised grilled tomato (my favorite) didn't appear. I am looking forward to having the real belgium waffles at the Lost Penguin.

I was also disappointed that Alan's course didn't go well. He'd worked himself into a nervous tizzy and couldn't get passed it (I can relate to that!). So, doesn't look like I'll have my own dive buddy. He'll still snorkel, but has now completely ruled out diving. This is his second attempt here, and he's just so uncomfortable. I give him a lot of credit for tryig the second time, bless his soul.

Time to get back to the hammock to rest up for a snorkel, then a visit to Donna and Jim from Alberta, who are staying a short walk from us. BT has been a wonderful way to connect with people here.

As I don't have a dive buddy, if anyone's heading down here and would like to buddy with a new diver who's still a bit nervous, for some easy dives, just let me know. I'm here until March 13. I can be reached directly by email at: info@bonairetownhomes.com (just put for Josie in the subject), or just a reply here.

That's it until the next episode.
Josie and Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ida Christie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #763) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 4:20 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie,
Sorry Alan's diving didn't work out for him. My husband had to get me a personal trainer. LOL. Maybe that's what he needs? I couldn't put my head under the water. But I love it now. I too still get a little nervous. Best of luck finding a buddy..
Bye,
Ida

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #974) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 5:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Josie..what SNOW u r missing..have fun for all of us. Say hi to Benny and Esther..they are wonderful.

I too had a horrific English Breakfast at Lions Den. Nothing came as ordered..I had to keep requesting things to arrive and it was awful. The view is stellar and the British guy that runs the place is very cheery. I have friends including Mercy who swear by that place and so far no luck for me. Will have to try Penguin..sort of a weird name tho, eh?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By marianne & joost (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #126) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 6:01 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie
really like your name, what about Monique, she is searching for a buddy

Joost

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Meryl Virga (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #3105) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 6:08 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie....what kind of a tizzy? It took me quite awhile to get certified, as I was not a water person....my parents use to put big orange life preservers on us in wading pools...! Can't wait to see ya on the cams

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carole Baker (Extraordinary BonaireTalker - Post #1979) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 6:35 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Josie! So glad you are relaxing on Bonaire and enjoying yourselves. Look forward to your mini reports during the duration of your trip. It's a shame Alan didn't make it the second time around. Maybe he will try again some time so you can enjoy the deep blue together. If not, snorkeling is just fine and very relaxing and enjoyable, too. You hammocks sound absolutely delightful! Carole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ann Phelan (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #976) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 6:47 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie, at least you and Alan can go everywhere together..u can do deeper but still experience the underwater magic of Bonaire..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bluetang (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #225) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 7:02 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

hi josie, glad you are having a good time. hope someone comes through with a buddy reference so you can get some diving in. how bout dara or ellen? is benny still diving? i had to look up the deep blue B&B, looks nice. are they close to the ocean or on a hill overlooking it? I didn't see a map of where they were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #677) on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 9:10 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Great to see the first of many reports during your wonderfully long stay in paradise!! I am a Lion's Den fan. I had the most awesome dinner there. Perhaps they have a different cook and wait staff in the mornings. I also found the owner to be quite attentive to everyone dining throughout the evening. I will be sure to stick to dinners only there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #748) on Saturday, February 8, 2003 - 5:11 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Blue Tang: The DBV is WAY up on a hill, quite a way from the ocean, but the ocean view and that of Klein Bonaire are great.

Alan has absolutely ruled out diving --- no more tries! He did have one-on-one attention, but was so nervous he got so spooked. This was actually
his third attempt, so he says he's not willing to try again. I'm OK with that, and I know I'll have no trouble getting buddies. It's hard to coordinate with the folks on the island who are working. Dara now has a full-time job, and Benny has some ear problems right now. I have a couple of dives scheduled with Francey and Mananita at BonBini to get back into the water, then should be doing my deep dive as part of the AOW on Wed.

Continuing the Trip Report:

Dinner last night at Swiss Chalet --- both had a filet of a fish I can't pronounce, begins with pr... Wonderful. I'd forgotten to mention that we went there last week also, great rosti!

Nice snorkel at Chachacha beach and over the rocks towards the customs pier today. Not a lot of coral except what's on the pilings (orange cup and some sponges mainly), but LOTS of fish. Saw three lobsters, as well as a HUGE scorpionfish (Alan's first for both), and just schools of glassy sweepers again. As well as queen and french angelfish and a rather large green morey poking out from under a rock. NICE!!

Bye for now.
Josie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken & Lisa (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #146) on Saturday, February 8, 2003 - 7:24 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie,

I am glad you are having a good time. Do one dive for me. Ken and I will be in Bonaire in June for 3 weeks. We are just going to the Keys this month. I am having withdrawals from the water. Even in a drysuit .. New England is just to cold right now.

Talk to you soon,

Lisa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DARLENE ELLIS (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #679) on Saturday, February 8, 2003 - 9:04 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie, Where did you see the Queen Angelfish?? I sure do hope she is still there when we get there on March 1st! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan Taft (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #103) on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 6:28 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Josie .... thanks for the report! We are looking forward to meeting you at the barbecue on the first of March (I'll bring the cheddar) if not before at Gibi's on the 25th. We too will be arriving on the late AA flight -- does Pasa Bon Pizza usually stay open late enough to eat there once we get in? Hope you have had luck with finding a dive buddy. Mark and I arrive on the 21st so maybe we can work something out if one of us decides to "sit some out". We too are quite new to the sport. Keep on enjoying!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Josie (Experienced BonaireTalker - Post #750) on Sunday, February 9, 2003 - 9:44 pm:     Edit PostPrint Post

Darlene: The queen angelfish was under the customs pier. We go in to the right of Chachacha pier and follow the rocks to the pier. Lots of neat stuff. So far, we've done three snorkels there, and enjoyed them all a lot.

Susan: Pasa Bon Pizza was open when we got there almost 10:30 when we arrived on the AE flight.

Nice dive today with Mananita from BonBini. I decided I'd feel more comfortable doing something slow and easy with an instructor, and it was a very good decision. Had to adjust weights, etc., and was very comfortable doing it with her --- I had her for part of my OW certification, and would recommend her (and Francey there) to anyone.

We had a GREAT meal tonight at De Tuin. Their bar hap special was steak in a pepper sauce -- delicious. Many other places were closed that we tried, so it was sort of a last-minute decision, and a great choice. We'll go back. The whole bill, with tip, for two with two Amstels, was just Naf 40.

Visit: The Bonaire WebCams - Current Bonaire images and weather!
The Bonaire Insider - the latest tourism news about Bonaire
The Bonaire Information Site, InfoBonaire
Search Bonaire - Search top Bonaire Web sites

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration